Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?

Article about: Hello everyone, I purchased this bayonet when I was quite young. It was listed as a WW2 Japanese bayonet but I do not typically dabble in this field, as I collect Soviet militaria mostly. Wh

Default Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?

Hello everyone, I purchased this bayonet when I was quite young. It was listed as a WW2 Japanese bayonet but I do not typically dabble in this field, as I collect Soviet militaria mostly. What I would like to know is if this bayonet is original as I bought it for a very nice price. Noticed that the blade has some "etched" looking spots that makes it look a bit more crude. Could this be a later manufacture?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?   Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?  

Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?   Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?  

Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?   Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?  

Original ww2 Japanese bayonet?  

It's certainly original, though in very rough shape. The "etched" appearance is postwar sharpening.

Original Type 30, likely pre WWII, bayonet in rough condition. I am not sure what the numbers are for on the side of the pommel. Maybe relegated to a school bayonet at some point in time.
    John

Appreciate the help guys, I've long been afraid that this thing would turn out to be a fake, I paid 60$ for this about 8 years ago.

It's the markings on the pommel side that make this bayonet interesting. The serial number is at the very top end of the numbers before a kana was added as a prefix, so maybe mid 1930's.
    I have just flicked through Labar and there are no examples marked like this - the L 49. I do not think it has been re-issued as a training bayonet - would the grips be so worn? I wonder if it is one captured by the Chinese and used by them after WW2. In Labar's book there is an example of one reworked by the Chinese and they had stamped L 74 on the cross-piece.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Numbering on the side of the pommel is pretty common.

Hi monkeyboy - numbering by who? I do not think the Japanese military ever did this. Of course the British did, but those bayonets are rare and need to date to before 1915.
    Cheers,
    Tony

The vast majority of side numbered pommels were done by the Japanese. As to what organization(s) did the numbering your guess is a good as mine.

Interesting, I will keep my eyes open for more examples as this is the first one I have seen.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Interesting food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast