Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Question: Help identifying Nagoya Arsenal Type 30 Bayonet with strange screws!

Article about: Hello folks, I wonder if any one of you fine gentlemen could help me identify whether there is something not right with this Nagoya Arsenal Type 30 Bayonet. The correct Nagaoya Arsenal marki

?

Writing as a long term collector, if dissatisfied with the piece, I would still hang on to it while looking for a replacement. Perhaps even use it in a part exchange deal, and I would advise this for a lot of collectable items currently. We are not in normal times, and who knows when we will get back to normal, and when if ever prices get back to what they were.

According to Labar, for Nagoya production the prefix should be one of these katakana: メ ヱ ヒ モ ス (me, we, hi, mo, su); or double i in hiragana, いい.
    Could it be 'me', the serial number matches the observed range for this?

Cheers,
    Tony

JJM
    ?

Now that you mention it, I think I can sort of make out a crossed メ shape. But that may just be some sort of positive reinforcement on my part. If the serial number did happen to be メ23545, would that tell us anything? A date of production perhaps?

Hi JJM, if that is the serial number then from what I understand we are talking of a production date of something like 1937/8.
    I dug out my Nagoya example to see if we could entertain a swap, but mine is not very good really so not suitable. I can keep my eyes open if you are interested when the shows restart.
    Cheers,
    Tony

JJM
    ?

Thank you Tony! Just knowing that there is a good chance that it was made around 1937/8 opens up intriguing possible back stories. Thank you so much also for your offer. I do hope I also get a chance to visit some shows when we finally get back to normality. I fear I may have opened a door to a hobby that will be difficult to now close. I am also currently in the process of convincing myself that the Type 30 needs a companion British Pattern 1907 bayonet as they seem to be so closely related...

Yes, it's very easy to add new areas of interest when collecting! I also have quite a few 1907's, which pre-date my interest in Type 30's. Now I only buy ones with regimental markings as that adds historical interest.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3