Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about NLF tunics

Article about: Evening guys,can somebody please answer two questions for me about the three button NLF tunic ( not the type 3 )? 1.Were these tunics ever issued with the black ink depot mark? 2.What year d

Default Questions about NLF tunics

Evening guys,can somebody please answer two questions for me about the three button NLF tunic ( not the type 3 )?

1.Were these tunics ever issued with the black ink depot mark?
    2.What year did manufacture of this tunic cease?

Thank you , Bill

?

Bill, there is some info on the 3 button navy tunics in these threads:

The IJA's Secret Design Plans for a New Visor/Field Cap Revealed by Nick Komiya

Japanese Navy Canteen

Regards

Russ

Isn't this what you asked about in Q2?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions about NLF tunics  

?

Thanks for the chart Nick. I know what book it comes from but I've been looking forever for the supposed source they got it from. It may have been from 横須賀海軍軍需部研究課「海軍陸戦隊被服沿革史」but even the archivist at the local library couldn't find it for me on the restricted part of the national archives. I hope one day I can find it as it likely has the answers to many of my questions.

As for the original question, I've never seen a three button tunic dated after 1943. It seems they switched to the black stamp in 1944 over the cloth tag, so I haven't seen any with the stamp yet either. Maybe some other collectors have or have seen a later dated one. Even with the Class III uniforms becoming a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if some leftover cut materials or sewing sheets for them was used to complete a few more tunics.

Etsuko Yagyu and I wrote for the same publisher and she is my Sempai as a military author, whom I've known since the 70s. 95% of her information comes from the 海軍制度沿革, a compilation of all navy regulations issued since its inception. Volume 7, a bit over 1000 pages is dedicated to uniform regulations, badges, flags and ceremonies . Only problem is that it was printed in June 1940, so regs appearing later need to be picked out of the kanpo direct to be complete.

Thank you adachi and Nick,your time and work is very much appreciated by myself and I'm sure countless others on this forum, thanks again.

Bill

Quote by adachi View Post
    Thanks for the chart Nick. I know what book it comes from but I've been looking forever for the supposed source they got it from. It may have been from 横須賀海軍軍需部研究課「海軍陸戦隊被服沿革史」but even the archivist at the local library couldn't find it for me on the restricted part of the national archives. I hope one day I can find it as it likely has the answers to many of my questions.

As for the original question, I've never seen a three button tunic dated after 1943. It seems they switched to the black stamp in 1944 over the cloth tag, so I haven't seen any with the stamp yet either. Maybe some other collectors have or have seen a later dated one. Even with the Class III uniforms becoming a replacement, I wouldn't be surprised if some leftover cut materials or sewing sheets for them was used to complete a few more tunics.
    Here is an anomaly for your research Austin. This sewn in label was in a five button front foreign made (102).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Questions about NLF tunics  

?

Quote by Razorback76 View Post
    Here is an anomaly for your research Austin. This sewn in label was in a five button front foreign made (102).
    Thank you for sharing this with me Scott! I love these foreign made uniforms, especially the five button style. It seems they always have some kind of minor variations or differences, never quite abiding by my expectations.

Hi gents, so if I read Nicks chart correctly Tpe 3 tunics shouldn't have more than a 4 button front?

Bill

?

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Hi gents, so if I read Nicks chart correctly Tpe 3 tunics shouldn't have more than a 4 button front?

Bill
    Yes the Class III tunic has four buttons. However the chart shows a different cut, it looks more like the five button work uniform (similar to a T98 cut). To make things confusing, I've also seen uniforms with Class III cut but five buttons and work uniforms with four buttons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast