Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Questions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet nets

Article about: Firstly Merry Christmas I have a question about Japanese helmets with non standard nets and there use in WW2. Also the other question I have is, did Japanese soldiers take US nets and use th

Question Questions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet nets

Firstly Merry Christmas

I have a question about Japanese helmets with non standard nets and there use in WW2.
    Also the other question I have is, did Japanese soldiers take US nets and use them
    In the field. I have seen several US helmets with Japanese nets in use, I used to own one.

Below is some period pics of non standard Japanese nets being used in the pacific so it did happen.

Would like to hear other collectors chime in on any they may have in their collection and if there is any correlation between seeing them More in the pacific than any other
    Field/country of use. Seems the tropics of the pacific has allowed some soldiers to use screwpine/ coconut vines/ hessian etc to make them. Questions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet nets

Below is some period pics of them in use

TIA

2nd from above is a US marine on Saipan with a non standard net, looks like it’s made of some kind of thick twine or string.
    Reason why this photo is cool is I have a Japanese Helmet with a near match of non standard net. The build of an M1 helmet is a lot taller than the Japanese type 90 which site more shallow, as you can see in the pic the non standard net does not cover the whole of the helmet. Did the foliage get taken from a Japanese helmet ? Hence why it does not sit and fill the top of the M1 helmet.

Below is a helmet I own with a very dry and in places damaged twine like non standard net, it’s completely encrusted on and if budged would likely snap and break. It’s been vegetable dyed a green.
    Looks a lot like the marines net he is wearing which I find interesting, it’s been braided and separated which would have been a labour of love ( down time ).

Anyway here is the helmet below

Questions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet netsQuestions about non standard WW2 Japanese helmet nets

Here is the Army helmet

Looking forward to the more experienced collectors in Japanese helmets to comment

First, let me narrow things down in terms of timeframe.

The IJA soldiers you show are wearing the branch color "M" on the right chest. This was only worn between 31st May 1938- 13th Oct 1943, defining the timeframe of those photos.

Next, regarding issue of nets, the very earliest supply of helmet nets on record is 10th May 1942, in comparison to body nets earlier in June 1941. And of note is the fact that nets on record are for supply to northern hemisphere units, as tropical units were supposed to wear helmet covers as standard.

So to sum up, between May 1938 and May 1942, for full 4 years, issue helmet nets were not in use in combination with the uniforms in your photos. Between June 1941 and May 1942 body nets were in supply, but no helmet nets yet.

Thus between June 1941, when soldiers became to appreciate camo nets and when helmet net supply began in May 1942, helmet nets would have had to be improvised, if needed.

The fact that your photos both show no anti-heat helmet covers point me more to northern China where helmet nets were in greater demand, but not yet in supply in 1941/42.

I hate to waste time on collector speculation, so I'll go no further than give you the facts above.

That would explain it - ive just been told the stamping date inside is for Showa 12 for 1937 so it’s an early model 1930 helmet ?
    Would explain the hand tied net as you stated nets where not in circulation until May 10th 1942.

Thanks Nick that helps a lot
    Last edited by Speakeasy101; 12-26-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Also to add I’m told inside is written

HYO/BYO/HEI sorry for not being able to add the ~ above the correct letters

And

Also Hombu is written for regiment or battalion ?

If you are talking about the faint impressions left in the leather liner, an inspection in hand is necessary to make sense out of that scrambled gibberish. Sorry, but I decline to take part in guessing games.

Excellent ! Thanks Nick I also prefer an in hand inspection with regards to writing in a liner.

I’ll get some pics so the writing talks for itself instead

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast