Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)

Article about: Hey everyone, I have just acquired 2 Japanese swords from my grand parents. Both of these swords were brought home by my great-grandfather during WW2 (he served in the Marines on Pelilu and

Haasman
    ?

Default Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)

Hey everyone,

I have just acquired 2 Japanese swords from my grand parents. Both of these swords were brought home by my great-grandfather during WW2 (he served in the Marines on Pelilu and Okinawa.) Right now I am unsure whether or not they are real or reproductions.

Key Points

- The blades on both the swords are steel and have spots of rust. (One has a small spot, the other has a rather big patch of rust)
    - Cannot find any sort of markings or identifying pieces without removing the handle. (No clue how to remove it, and don't wanna screw it up) No numbers or Japanese characters.
    - The scabbards are in rather poor condition and do not have any of the ornamentation that I've seen on some of the real swords I've seen.
    - There is no ornament in the handle under the wrapping, which is what worries me the most.
    - The Tsubas are different on each sword.
    - The Tsuba on the other sword has hollowed out areas.
    - Sat in a basement for almost 70 years (Along with a Type 99 Arisaka rifle and a LIVE Japanese grenade) So they were rarely (if ever) cleaned.

I am new to the whole military artifacts thing so if you could help me out on exactly how to ID these swords that would be awesome.

1st Pic below is of both swords. The rest of the pics are of the sword in better condition. The better of the two is on bottom.
    Can add pics of the second sword or other pics if requested. Felt like I have a decent amount of pics.

Last edited by Haasman; 11-27-2010 at 06:45 AM.

?

Default Re: Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)

Hi Haasman , i would like to see photos of the second sword please
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Haasman
    ?

Sword #2 right here. (Top sword in first pic on original post).

Different Tsuba and patches of rust on both sides.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)   Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)  

Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)   Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)  

Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)   Real or fake Japanese swords? (Need help ID'ing)  

?

Hi again Haasman , the tsuba`s shown on the two swords are real poor quality castings , showing no detailing whatsoever . I am also struggling to find anything good with the other hilt fittings . I would like to see the tangs of the swords please as it is difficult to judge the blades from the photos , if you remove the pegs by gently tapping them through with a piece of wood of the same diameter , you should be able to remove the hilt by gently pulling with a rocking motion .
    REGARDS AL

Haasman
    ?

The pegs on both swords are not budging for me. Thankfully I got ahold of a museum director who agreed to take a look at the swords, maybe he can get them off so we can get a look at the tangs. He also said that it is odd for a potential reproduction to have a steel blade, especially if the sword was made during the 1940s (when steel was widely unavailable to the civilian sectors of most countries.)

I'll post back here when I find out

?

Hi Haasman , I actually think the blades have possible potential ( which is why i wanted to see the tang ) because the grooves in the blades seem to be well formed , which is a good sign . This is why i find it strange to see those poor quality mountings fitted . It will help if this man can remove the Tsuka , so that we can see the tangs .
    REGARDS AL