Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??

Article about: Hello all, I’ve never seen a dress sword with this type of kanji on the blade? Thoughts? Probably post war sham to bring more money? Or,,, is it some sort of presentation sword? Thanks..

Default Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??

Hello all,

I’ve never seen a dress sword with this type of kanji on the blade? Thoughts? Probably post war sham to bring more money? Or,,, is it some sort of presentation sword?

Thanks..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??   Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??  

Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??   Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??  

Very, very interesting! Proof of purpose will be finalized with the translation but to me its clearly a genuine prewar/wartime presentation piece and I look forward to seeing what Nick says. Nice and rare find - even if it is just a dress sword
    Last edited by Long Shot; 12-07-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Ever since 1878, giving presentation swords to the top 6 or so students graduating from military academies became a tradition both in the army and navy. These Guntos were called 恩賜の軍刀 Onshi No Gunto and had the Kanji of 御賜 (also read Onshi, but note the different kanji ) engraved in the Habaki, as they were presented to the top graduates in the name of the Emperor. Onshi items were not always gunto, but depending on the school and era, silver pocket watches, binoculars, daggers were also presented.

The sword in question is not such a Onshi no Gunto, but rather the reverse case of Infantry School graduates thanking and honoring their instructor, Captain Oshima upon their graduation. The students were officers of the advanced course 甲種 class of 1932, consisting of first Lt to Major ranks enrolling for specialized advanced education for infantry officers seeking further promotion to staff positions. This sword appears to be a Shikito ceremonial sword with lightweight alloy blade that continued to be used beyond the revival of the Samurai sword design.

Photo below shows top graduates honored with swords presented to them in the name of the Emperor.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or Memorex with this Japanese Dress sword??  

Thank you Nick and Long shot for your comments... this sword became available to me and I decided to purchase it.

Nick I wish I had your experience... as I said before, I’ve never seen a sword of this type before and it caught my interest. Even though it is a dress sword... it has a uniqueness about it. Has a few dents in the scabbard and the twisted copper wiring is coming loose in a few spots.

Thank you again,
    D

Just to add a coda to Nick's very informative post .... here is the kanji:
    贈大島大尉

昭和七年度
    陸軍歩兵学校
    甲種第一班一同

Presented to Captain Ōshima

Showa 7 [1932] Academic Year
    Army Infantry School
    From everyone in the Advanced Course First Group/Squad

-- Guy

And with the thread title ... you're showing your age!

Is it Live or is it Memorex?

Hahaha bused!’ Thanks Guy for the info... much appreciated! Will add to my notes...

And I am feeling my age!
    Last edited by 26Intrepid; 12-07-2020 at 01:06 AM.