Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag

Article about: Hello all, I picked up this Yosegaki Hinomaru flag and wanted feedback on its authenticity, and help with translations for the kanji that is still visible. I know the top script translates t

Default Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag

Hello all,

I picked up this Yosegaki Hinomaru flag and wanted feedback on its authenticity, and help with translations for the kanji that is still visible. I know the top script translates to Inori Bu’un Choukyuu but that's the extent of my knowledge. The flag has a lot of tears in it and the silk is very, very thin. But it looks original and seems to have honest wear. However if it is a postwar/repro flag I won't mind too much for what I paid. There is also a drawing of a fish which I found interesting.

Additional Photos: Hinomaru Yosegaki - Album on Imgur

Thanks in advance!

?

Could you please post photos directly to the Forum thread, Thanks !! G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag   Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag  

Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag   Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag  

Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag   Review of Hinomaru Yosegaki Flag  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Looks authentic, though in rough shape. No mention of owner's name. Anti-American/British slogans date this to WW2.

Will do - looks like you posted some already. Here are the rest of the pictures:

Not much more I can say that Nick hasn't already said. Authentic flag in rough condition.

-- GUy

Thank you all for the help. Is there any sort of names/reference to people or is it all war slogans? Also, could yall translate the bigger vertical words on the left and right side?

Thanks again!

Quote by skurtswerve View Post
    Thank you all for the help. Is there any sort of names/reference to people or is it all war slogans? Also, could yall translate the bigger vertical words on the left and right side?

Thanks again!
    Lots and lots of slogans. The vertical one on the left border is just too faded on the bottom to read. Perhaps Mr. Chen or Nick Komiya can clear it up for us; I'll put it in pink below.

Top:
    祈武運長久
    Prayer for continued luck in the fortunes of war

Right:
    意気天を祈く
    to be in high spirits

七生 [ripped section]
    Full quote: 七生報国
    Live seven lives to serve the country

不惜身命
    Devoting one's body and soul [to Buddhist teachings]; unsparing devotion [to Buddhism]

撃滅米英・一死報国
    Defeat the US & England・Die for your country

7:00 o'clock:
    必勝
    Certain Victory

Left margin:
    玉[王?]忍**
    I'm very uncertain about 玉 [ball/jewel-jade] or 王 [king] and 忍 [endurance/patience.] I can't even guess the last two.

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 07-26-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Found the owner's name to be Tadashi Nakayama, as written in the upper left corner. Kanji's that threw Guy are 皇道**宣 (Promoting the Imperial Path) and 意気天を衝く. 不惜身命 Hold not dear your body or life (dedicate yourself fully to the Emperor).

Guy, Nick,

I really appreciate the translation of the flag, especially finding the previous owner's name. I can only imagine what this flag has seen... As the new caretaker I'll be sure to take care of this relic and treat it with respect.