Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??

Article about: Hello, I recently acquired a Rinji Seishiki from 1944. The sword has a push button catch under the hand guard. The scabbard has a place where the catch should lock the blade into the scabbar

Default Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??

Hello, I recently acquired a Rinji Seishiki from 1944. The sword has a push button catch under the hand guard. The scabbard has a place where the catch should lock the blade into the scabbard, but it does not lock. Is my scabbard missing a piece, is this common on these swords, or do you think something may be bent prevent locking? I have some pictures for reference. Any help would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??   Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??  

Swat,

First, out of curiousity, these double-release button fittings usually come with a star-stamped blade by an RJT smith. Does yours?

Your koiguchi (scabbard throat piece) is missing the button head for the release. Hard to tell from your pictures, but it looks like the metal spring piece might be hanging low enough to be getting in the way of your chuso point. The point should be able to hook the inner edge of the throat opening. The release button, when working properly, simply pushes the point away from the edge allowing it to slip out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??   Rinji-Seishiki Scabbard Missing Piece??  

The bamboo pegs running through the handle are fairly damaged and I'm afraid of damaging them further trying to take it apart. I have pictures of the signature and date, but can't see any star markings on the blade.

Ok. I suppose it's possible to have a non-star blade in this style fittings, they were just an upgraded version of the Rinji-seishiki after all. On the other hand, the star stamp can often be lightly and partially struck, making them hard to see. If you ever get a chance to look, it will be on the upper left above the mei (signature) near the tsuba/seppa (handguard and spacers).