MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

seeking info on my tanto

Article about: Hello all, Can anyone help me with determining the approximate age of this blade? Any and all info on my tanto is welcome and appreciated. Take care, Mart

Default seeking info on my tanto

Hello all,

Can anyone help me with determining the approximate age of this blade? Any and all info on my tanto is welcome
    and appreciated.

Take care, Mart

seeking info on my tantoseeking info on my tantoseeking info on my tantoseeking info on my tantoseeking info on my tanto

Hello Martin,
    It appears to me to be an earlier blade that was possibly put to use during the war due to the leather weather cover and the suspension ring. It will be difficult to determine the actual age because it is not signed. Bob may be able to give you an approximate age based on the fittings and style.
    I like it!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Accurate kantei of a Japanese blade can only be done in hand-especially when dealing with an unsigned piece. The lack of any nakago deep patina along with the crispness of the file marks would lead me to believe it is a blade made during the end of the sword making era in the mid 19th century. Silver habaki usually indicate a blade make in the new sword era while gold indicating koto. However, I have seen numerous exceptions to this rule.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hello All,

thanks to Ralph and Bob for your time and opinions it is appreciated greatly!

Take care, Mart