Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Article about: Hi, I have this sword, I don’t know a whole lot about it but I believe it’s a WWII Gunto with a machine made blade. However there is an unusual marking on the tang that looks like a puzzle p

Default Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Hi,
    I have this sword, I don’t know a whole lot about it but I believe it’s a WWII Gunto with a machine made blade. However there is an unusual marking on the tang that looks like a puzzle piece, I’ve never seen that before. I’ll attach a couple of more pictures that may contain other possible stampings as well.

There seems to be a fair amount of pitting on the blade and the metal scabbard is cut up near the beginning.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Seeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese Sword
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword  

?

Hi,

Well, there are some things that are 'off' with this one. The Saya(scabbard) looks nothing like a Gunto saya and it looks to be of lesser material. Same for the menuki, that doesnt look like an IJA one. And the same for the blade and habaki, doesnt look like something the Japanese would create, the nakago(tang) seems to be rushed?

At best I suggests it might be an 'Ersatz' or Island sword. But I could be completely wrong ofcourse

Do you have any pictures of the blade?

?

I have seen similar, and of WW2 date,.... but it is an oddity. My guess is Manchurian or Chinese collaborationist officer.

Agree to both the above. The tsuka parts seem to come from actual Japanese gunto fittings, but the menugi (3 circle emblem under the wrap) is not Japanese. My memory bugs me, as I've seen this before, but can't pin it down. I want to say Chinese. So, it very well could be a Chinese collaboration sword. That scabbard is pretty bad, though!

I'd also like to see pics of the blade - one in full, and a closeup of the blade tip.

Pics coming soon! Thank you guys for taking the time to look at this.

?

Does this look familiar...Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Here’s a lot more closeup detailed pics - there is no Mekugi pin, just a screw holding it together temporarily.

Seeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese SwordSeeking more information about this Japanese Sword
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword   Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword  

Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword   Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword  

Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword   Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword  

Quote by DaveR View Post
    Does this look familiar...Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Not 100% exact but it does resemble it very closely

Quote by DaveR View Post
    Does this look familiar..
    Dave, that's it! is it Chinese puppet govt?

?

Truthfully, I am not sure. I have seen a couple of these now, well made and nicely finished, and from a dealer in Japan. One guy reckons it's just a legit variation, and another thinks it's Manchurian..... From an ebay dealer called ensai so ken .Seeking more information about this Japanese Sword

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast