Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a Senninbari (thousand stitch belt) and can anyone translate the writing?

Article about: This item was given to me about 10 years ago by an elderly gentleman who had fought in world war 2 in Burma. Can anyone translate the writing/symbols on the senninbari? As you can see in the

Hollie
    ?

Default Is this a Senninbari (thousand stitch belt) and can anyone translate the writing?

This item was given to me about 10 years ago by an elderly gentleman who had fought in world war 2 in Burma.

Can anyone translate the writing/symbols on the senninbari? As you can see in the pictures, it has a pocket where there are various pieces of paper, tissue or little sewn envelopes, wrapped around pieces of wood and other bits of paper with what I presume are prayers written on them. (Sorry if this sounds a bit garbled)

Is there a name anywhere on it?

My ultimate goal would be to try and give this back to the family of the soldier who wore it.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hollie
    Is this a Senninbari (thousand stitch belt) and can anyone translate the writing?

yes it is. A 1000 knot/stitch Japanese belt... Very nice...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Belonged to Mr. Nano

鳥取県西伯郡
    Tottori ken Saihaku-gun

上長田村上中入口
    Kaminagata Murakami Chū Iriguchi

奈野健三
    Nano Kenzō
    =======
    Kenzō Nano
    Kaminagata, Middle Murakami, Entry
    Saihaku County, Tottori Prefecture

Wooden blocks are "omamori" [good luck charms] for 武運長久 [Buun chōkyū - Eternal Luck in the Fortunes of War]. First one is from Narita-San 成田山.

Hollie,

Right and left of the flag:
    武運長久
    Buun chōkyū
    Eternal Luck in the Fortunes of War

Above the flag and written on the other side is an Esoteric Buddhist prayer - but I forgot what it says. I tried to translate it once, but the kanji are super-special and do not show up in regular dictionaries. The native-speakers were able to translate it .... but I've forgotten.

Regards,
    --Guy

Returning such an item to a Japanese family can be very difficult. Please read the sticky thread on Private Owikawa. After nearly 70 years, finding direct family members will be difficult. Return of such an item may also be an unpleasant experience as the soldier likely died in combat. You might try contacting your local Japanese consulate or Embassy. However, from experience, dealing with bureaucrats from any country can be very difficult.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hollie
    ?

Guy - thank you for all the information!

Bob - Yes I did think afterwards it probably would be a bit upsetting for any family. I will keep it safe!

?

The four characters represented on both the top front and reverse of the belt are "Sa-mu-ha-ra" and are Shinto in origin. You can see examples on belts and flags from time to time and can read about the phrase and the Shinto shrine connected to it here:

Encyclopedia of Shinto - Home : Modern Sectarian Groups : Samuhara Jinja

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    The four characters represented on both the top front and reverse of the belt are "Sa-mu-ha-ra" and are Shinto in origin. You can see examples on belts and flags from time to time and can read about the phrase and the Shinto shrine connected to it here:

Encyclopedia of Shinto - Home : Modern Sectarian Groups : Samuhara Jinja

Tom
    TOM!! That's it!!! Thanks. The kanji are sooooo "special" that Japanese have to use katakana for word-processing/computers:
    サムハラ神社
    Samuhara Jinja

Still can use the kanji when using a brush:

These four kanji are described by adherents as the "Four Characters of Mystery"
    不思議の四文字
    Fushigi no yonmoji

Fushigi means: wonder; miracle; strange; mystery; marvel; curiosity

-Guy