Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Shin gunto

Article about: Hello everyone, A good friend of me asked me what i think of this one. My knowledge in Swords are very limited not my collecting field. Any help woulde be very appreciated. Thank you Regards

Default Shin gunto

Hello everyone,

A good friend of me asked me what i think of this one.
    My knowledge in Swords are very limited not my collecting field.
    Any help woulde be very appreciated.
    Thank you
    Regards
    Delibes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shin gunto   Shin gunto  

Shin gunto   Shin gunto  

Shin gunto   Shin gunto  

Shin gunto   Shin gunto  

?

At first look it's very nice but in suspiciously good condition. It is however "all in the blade" and I am not seeing the diagnostic bits of such. So I will reserve my opinion.

Well, it's Type 98 officer gunto. Both the blade and the fittings look like they were attempting to approximate a quality gunto (double habaki, thick seppa), but workmanship fell just short. Blade is non-traditionally made, and a descent showato, but an average one overall.

Dave, are you thinking it's a bitser?

It certainty appears to be a nice Type 98.

It has not seen any/much action or appears to have been restored post WWII... Judging by the condition, especially of the tsuka wrap.

Ok guys thank you very mutch for youre time and help.
    Regards
    Delibes

?

Hanwei aka Paul Chen used to sell an "officers Shin Gunto", (Yasukuni Colonel's Gunto) though not any longer AFAIK, and a decent repro' it was, though costing very near what you would pay for an original.
    What I don't like about this one above is, the glossy saya, the double habaki on a Gendai style nakago, and the "not quite right" colour finish of the brass. Add to that that we only see one side of the nakago, the one less often signed..........

Ok maybe this help i will tell him youre thoughs.
    Anyway thank you for youre help

Shin gunto

Quote by DaveR View Post
    Hanwei aka Paul Chen used to sell an "officers Shin Gunto", (Yasukuni Colonel's Gunto) though not any longer AFAIK, and a decent repro' it was, though costing very near what you would pay for an original.
    What I don't like about this one above is, the glossy saya, the double habaki on a Gendai style nakago, and the "not quite right" colour finish of the brass. Add to that that we only see one side of the nakago, the one less often signed..........
    Dave,
    I wondered about the enlarged mekugi ana on the other side, and now, on this side the obvious drill mark. Did WWII workers use drills? If modern, the mark says to me that this was a bitser, where someone had a blade and put together koshirae for a complete gunto.

And not saying your suspisions are wrong, you may be right, but I have seen that color and gloss on saya before. They tend to be lower grade workmanship. That's another sign, to me, that the higher grade double-habaki, and fat seppa were pieced together with the lower grade metal fittings and saya. The nakago work on this isn't very refined either.