Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shin gunto(?) for review

Article about: Greetings all! I came across this gunto, it seems reasonably priced. But before(or if) I make the deal I would like to hear some opinions based on the current photographs. What do you think?

?

Default Shin gunto(?) for review

Greetings all!

I came across this gunto, it seems reasonably priced. But before(or if) I make the deal I would like to hear some opinions based on the current photographs. If that is even possible

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Shin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for review

?

Without good picture of blade and the picture of the Nakago is impossible recognize with type of blade is

?

Here are some pictures of the blade and tang, no signature. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for reviewShin gunto(?) for review

?

There's a few of these floating around. They're all very similar in the crude ito and koshirae. We term them islander swords, but F&G states they were emergency pattern if memory serves. I think that's entirely incorrect though. They seem to be imitation swords made by collaboration forces (hence islander swords).

Either that or they're 'jeep springs', but I'm in favour of the former.

Worth owning as part of a collection.

?

That actually make some sense. I know that the sword came from "Surabaya" in Java(Indonesia). Perhaps also something to do with PETA I read(Pembela Tanah Air) - Wikipedia Interesting..

My first thought was, at best, very late war Japanese, but the menugi don't seem to even be close, so I'd say PETA likely. The nakago is much better than the usual fakes, though, with these swords that is always a possibility. Overall, I'd tilt toward Shamsy and Island sword category, too.

?

Shedding some light on who might have made these....Shin gunto(?) for review

?

who book is that , thanks DaverR

very interesting. Logas or Camp 9, was linked to forced Allied POW and Indonesian workers for the Sumatra Railway. That Dutch craftsman appeared to have been one of the 'lucky' ones. So many perished.

?

If I remember rightly it's taken from a conversation on Nihonto Message Board, Nihonto Message Board and was a shot of a book page posted there. I now tend to better record where I picked stuff up from, but when I began my files on Shin-Gunto I was not so diligent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast