Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Shin Gunto sword tangs

Article about: I only have a 'cooking' shin-gunto, unsigned as non-traditional blade. Would like to get one with a traditional blade. Am going to look at 4 that are available, and have pics of the tangs. A

Default Shin Gunto sword tangs

I only have a 'cooking' shin-gunto, unsigned as non-traditional blade. Would like to get one with a traditional blade. Am going to look at 4 that are available, and have pics of the tangs. Are any of these of particular interest?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony

The first 2 pics are the same sword.

Shin Gunto sword tangsShin Gunto sword tangsShin Gunto sword tangsShin Gunto sword tangsShin Gunto sword tangs

Third image is promising:

石堂輝秀作
    Ishido Teruhide-saku
    Made by Ishido Teruhido

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:

TERUHIDE (輝秀), Meiji (明治, 1868-1912), Tōkyō – “Teruhide” (輝秀), family name Ishidō (石堂), he was the grandson of the 7th gen. Korekazu (是一)

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 05-29-2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Wrong Teruhide -- corrected.

2a&b are to 東都国光 Tōto Kunimitsu. ..... But there are NINE Showa-era smiths named 国光 shown in Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths and none use the 東都 [East Metro: Tokyo].

-- Guy

Can't read Tang 3.

Tang 4:
    [関] 福本兼宗
    [Seki stamp] Fukumoto Kanemune

From the Register of Names of Seki Forge Swordsmiths Since Showa 14, October [1939]
    兼宗 福本小市 S14.10.27
    Smith name: Kanemune
    Date entered the Seki Guild/Licensed: Showa 14 [1939], October 27

From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    KANEMUNE (兼宗), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemune” (兼宗), real name Fukumoto Koichi (福本小市), born October 14th 1902, adopted son-in-law of Fukumoto Amahide (天秀), he died on March 8th 1977, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide)

Sesko about rankings:
    When it comes to gendaitō and especially WWII-era smiths, this publication includes the ranking of about 300 contemporary smiths carried out by Kurihara Akihide (栗原昭秀) in 1942 under the title Seidai Tōshō Iretsu Ichiran (聖代刀匠位列一覧). He introduced seven ranks:
    • shinpin no retsu (神品の列) Supreme masterworks
    • kihin-jōi (貴品上位) Superior precious works
    • kihin no retsu (貴品の列) Precious works
    jōko no jōi (上工の上位) Superior master
    • jōkō no retsu (上工の列) Master
    • ryōkō no jōi (良工の上位) Superior skilled artisan
    • ryōkō no retsu (良工の列) Skilled artisan

-- Guy

Thank you very much for your work, Guy, I really appreciate it. Armed with your research I will have a look at the swords and see how they are in the flesh (though not literally)!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Top photo is "1945...." Month is obscured by corrosion.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Top photo is "1945...." Month is obscured by corrosion.
    Possibly a two-digit month based on the space between 年 and 月. Maybe 十一 [11] or 十二 [12].

-- Guy

The top sword in the pics with the date is Showa 12 (十二) from what I can see, which would be 1937.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    The top sword in the pics with the date is Showa 12 (十二) from what I can see, which would be 1937.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    ARRGGGgghhhhhh! I think I have a mild case of dyslexia (seriously); I must have looked at that image a dozen times and each time my brain thought I saw 二十!!!

Thanks for the correction, Tony.

-- Guy

Quote by bestmsdt View Post
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Dang! I did the same thing as Guy!