MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

Yes, for the officer's 1906 sabre. The leather was for field use. Source: Randy Steffen, The Horse Soldier 1776-1945, Vol III

Short Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 Gunto

NCOs and ORs were using the M1906 saber which was about the same as the 1860, but with a steel basket instead of brass; the 1906 EM wrist strap was the same design as the 1860 (wider strap, loose fringe at the bottom of the knot).

-- Guy

?

Default Sword Knot

The oldest record and drawing of the leather NCO sword-knot 刀緒 that I could find dates back to 1875 明治八年. This information was located in the 1875 uniform regulations 陸軍服制図. This sword knot was used on the two enlisted swords introduced that same year, one for those on foot and the other for those on horseback. So the design of this sword-knot goes back to the earliest enlisted/NCO swords used by the Japanese army.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    The oldest record of the leather NCO sword-knot 刀緒 that I am aware of dates to 1875 明治八年 and can be found in the 1875 uniform regulations 陸軍服制図. So the design of this sword knot goes back to the first enlisted swords used by the Japanese army.
    Kiipu,

Thanks for posting that!!!

OOohhhhhh ... that is "scarey similar" to the US officer field sword-knot!!!!! It would be interesting to post actual photos of each sword-knot, side-by-side, to see if there is an appreciable difference -- and way to distinguish one from the other.

-- Guy

?

They both quite possibly have a common origin, based on the French NCO sword knot. The Light Infantry examples of such have a whistle in the barrel.

?

Here's the closest i've seen to the tassel you show in the spec's Kiipu

Short Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 Gunto

?

It would be interesting to post actual photos of each sword-knot, side-by-side, to see if there is an appreciable difference -- and way to distinguish one from the other

Here you go....
    Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Quote by stegel View Post
    Here you go....
    Thanks Stegel! That's pretty clear to me! Braided cord = US Army.

Cheers,
    - Guy

?

..... and an example of the French one, dating to WW1.Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

?

The Heijō Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠平城製造所 started making Type 95 Military Swords 九五式軍刀 in fiscal year 1945. The Heijō Factory was located in Pyongyang, Korea, and was built in the 1920s. Production was scheduled to begin in April 1945. The planned production was to be 100 swords in April, 400 swords in May, 1000 swords in June, and 1500 swords per month thereafter. The planned total production for fiscal year 1945, April 1945 to March 1946, was 15,000 swords.

In actuality, only 100 swords were made in April, 0 (zero) swords in May, and 600 swords in June. Production records for July and August could not be located. It is known though that the Jinsen Army Arsenal was transferred to the Japanese Army in Korea in June.

The Type 95 Military Swords made by the Heijō Factory do not have arsenal symbols or arsenal final inspection marks but they do have the Heijō Factory inspection mark ヘ stamped in several locations. These swords were assigned the 300,000 serial number range by Army Ordnance Administration Headquarters 陸軍兵器行政本部 prior to the transfer. As of the end of June, this would put serialized production at 300,700. The highest serial number that I am aware of is 301911. This would indicate at least 1,211 Type 95 swords were made after June 1945. I think it is safe to say that Jinsen continued serializing Type 95s to the war’s end or close to it.

It is my opinion that the Pattern 7 and Pattern 8 swords were manufactured at the same time as the Type 95s in the 300,000 serial number range. Since the Heijō Factory was the only factory in Korea capable of mass producing swords, it could be that these Jinsen Pattern 7 & 8 swords were intended for officers while the 300,000 range were for NCOs.

造兵廠計画 = arsenal plan.
    生産 = production.
    月 = monthly.
    累 = cumulative.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-23-2020 at 02:28 AM.

?

The Heijō Factory was known for its production of items made of wood and animal hides. North Korea was an important source for both of these items before and during the war. I ran across a picture of an ammunition chest made by the Heijō Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal. What I find interesting is the use of ヘ instead of 仁 as an inspection mark. I wonder if Heijō ever used the arsenal final inspection mark on its manufactured items?
    "Ammunition Chest"
    Ammunition Chest
    Last edited by Kiipu; 08-23-2020 at 02:29 AM.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast