Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

?

The Iijima Sword Workshop was another one of the major Type 95 contractors for Tōkyō 1st Army Arsenal 東京第一陸軍造兵廠. They along with Seki had the highest monthly production capacity during 1942. They made swords in the initial serial number range that ran up to about 161,000. I have seen only one 1941 advertisement for this company. I guess they were just too busy making swords to bother with advertising!
    飯島刀劍製作所 = Iijima Tōken Seisaku-jo = Iijima Sword Workshop.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    The Heijō Factory was known for its production of items made of wood and animal hides. North Korea was an important source for both of these items before and during the war. I ran across a picture of an ammunition chest made by the Heijō Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal. What I find interesting is the use of ヘ instead of 仁 as an inspection mark. I wonder if Heijō ever used the arsenal final inspection mark on its manufactured items?
    "Ammunition Chest"
    Ammunition Chest
    Are you referring to the "Jin" stamp? I have this picture, and don't exactly remember who I got it from. It's got the 仁 as a 4th stamp on a Tokyo 1st Arseanl 95. The second is on a Tokyo, Kokura 95. My belief is that this gunto was given to the Jinsen arsenal as an example to model their production. But that is wild speculation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto   Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

?

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Are you referring to the "Jin" stamp? I have this picture, and don't exactly remember who I got it from. It's got the 仁 as a 4th stamp on a Tokyo 1st Arsenal 95. My belief is that this gunto was given to the Jinsen arsenal as an example to model their production. But that is wild speculation.
    Yes, that is the arsenal final inspection stamp. The picture you posted reminded me that Stegel-san had an info-graphic about a tsuba with Jinsen markings. Looks like both the 仁 and ヘ make an appearance after all.
    "Type 95 Gunto - Transitional Tsuba"
    Type 95 Gunto - Transitional Tsuba

?

Bruce,
    The Sword you had shown came from a post at the WAF, here's the other pics that came with it.

Short Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Again you can see the tsuba with the extra Side-Lock slot provided.
    It is only these type of tsuba that are found on swords which have the extra 4th fuchi stamp, that of 仁 , the Jinsen Army Arsenal acceptance stamp.

We know that the Tokyo arsenal had been trying to unify the specs, and make parts between arsenals interchangable, so what is your reasoning behind this, and why is the possibility of -these swords initially being 'production samples' accepted, checked, investigated by, or approved by Jinsen, considered to be 'Wild Speculation' ?

These swords appear at the 28k, 70k, 80k, 120k and 139k Serial ranges, and only in small batches.

Stegel
    Do you have link for this sword?
    Quote by stegel View Post
    Bruce,
    The Sword you had shown came from a post at the WAF, here's the other pics that came with it.

Short Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 GuntoShort Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Again you can see the tsuba with the extra Side-Lock slot provided.
    It is only these type of tsuba that are found on swords which have the extra 4th fuchi stamp, that of 仁 , the Jinsen Army Arsenal acceptance stamp.

We know that the Tokyo arsenal had been trying to unify the specs, and make parts between arsenals interchangable, so what is your reasoning behind this, and why is the possibility of -these swords initially being 'production samples' accepted, checked, investigated by, or approved by Jinsen, considered to be 'Wild Speculation' ?

These swords appear at the 28k, 70k, 80k, 120k and 139k Serial ranges, and only in small batches.

?

Quote by bangbangsan View Post
    Stegel
    Do you have link for this sword?
    https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...tion?t=1032195

Sorry, Ernie, I should have said "speculation on my part" as I don't remember where I got that idea (likely from you!). As it isn't my primary area of study, I tend to forget where I heard/read stuff, and I didn't want to say something that I couldn't cite my reference for.

I'm at that stage in life where I can look at a kid (anyone below age 40) and say "Boy, I've forgotten more stuff than you will ever know!!!"

?

All good Bruce, relax, i was hoping you had the answer and solved the mystery!

Oh, that was a lovely apology by the way, but really not required

The gunto with the Jin on a Kokura-stamped fuchi is part of my reason for thinking these swords were given to the Jinsen Arsenal as they started up their production of 95s. According to Kiipu's post "The Heijō Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠平城製造所 started making Type 95 Military Swords 九五式軍刀 in fiscal year 1945", yet the Kokura stamping stopped, when, 1940 or 1942? So, this gunto was in "circulation" for a number of years before a Jinsen inspector got his hands on it.

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast