Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

?

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Here are some more inspection marks that were used by all manufacturers.
    The 1st Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠第一製造所 used the 〇 inspection mark on late war rifles and bayonets. Below is a link to a typical example.
    "Japanese bayonets"
    Japanese bayonets

?

It appears the nakago of at least one Type 95 Military Sword has a marking on it. It is the company logo for Seki Sword Company, Limited 関刀剣株式會社 and it shows up on 関209247. I wonder if this means that the blade was made by the Seki Sword Co., Ltd?

Also, notice how the 関 inspection mark on the scabbard mouth is stamped sideways.

Arsenal Stamps.
    See posts 95 to 101.
    Arsenal Stamps. - Page 4 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    The 1st Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠第一製造所 used the 〇 inspection mark on late war rifles and bayonets. Below is a link to a typical example.
    "Japanese bayonets"
    Japanese bayonets
    Didn't you recently uncover a document that showed the "〇" as well as circled ichi and ni were stamps showing fitness for combat? With that in mind, I would take the bayonet example to be the Jinsen inspector stamp with a fitness 〇 beside it.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    It appears the nakago of at least one Type 95 Military Sword has a marking on it. It is the company logo for Seki Sword Company, Limited 関刀剣株式會社 and it shows up on 関209247. I wonder if this means that the blade was made by the Seki Sword Co., Ltd?

Also, notice how the 関 inspection mark on the scabbard mouth is stamped sideways.

Arsenal Stamps.
    See posts 95 to 101.
    Arsenal Stamps. - Page 4 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    That's the way I would understand that stamp's presence.

I have Type 95 blades with other stamps, like the "M" (on 2) and a 関 on the nakago mune of a late war 95. Likewise, the 関 on the blade is sideways.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto   Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Attached Images Attached Images Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto 

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Didn't you recently uncover a document that showed the "〇" as well as circled ichi and ni were stamps showing fitness for combat? With that in mind, I would take the bayonet example to be the Jinsen inspector stamp with a fitness 〇 beside it.
    The "0" marking seems to be universal on late Jinsen Arsenal T-99's and T-30 bayonets. I don't know if it means a lower class since it is used all over the rifles and on the pommel of the bayonet close to the regular Jinsen final inspection marking. At least on the Jinsen rifle and bayonet I have, that's how it is. On the rifle there is also the "7" looking character marking on many of the parts.

?

Quote by Nagoya10 View Post
    On the rifle there is also the "7" looking character marking on many of the parts.
    The フ is the factory inspection mark used by the 1st Factory of Jinsen Army Arsenal 仁川陸軍造兵廠第一製造所. The 1st Factory was located at Inchon, Korea.

Quote by stegel View Post

Here you go....
    Attachment 1436452
    What do you think of this leather tassel found on a Type 98? The cord is similar to this, but the tassel (or knot) is like a kyu tassel, yet the top portion of the tassel doesn't look like any examples in my reference books.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto   Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Attached Images Attached Images Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto 

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    "Japanese bayonets"
    Japanese bayonets
    I found the chart! What does the 〇 in this chart mean?
    Attached Images Attached Images Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto 

?

I never translated this portion of the manual. However, one can find the information in either of the Honeycutt books.

It just seems, to me, that this page might explain the Jinsen use of the 〇 on blades.

Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast