MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

Article about: I do not collect edged weapons, but used to regard ground blades on bayonets and sabers as mostly post war mutilation, at least from the point of view of a collector. But ever since getting

?

So I've flipped the image as suggested and added some yellow bands in paint to try to follow along with what I am describing. You can see that where the fuchi ends and the tsuka begins, on the copper and early aluminium, one sides design differs from the other, while the later aluminium is mirrored on both sides. The mirrored sides allow a screw to pass through the diamond pattern and same on both sides, but the early aluminium (which is based off the copper design) requires that the screw pass through the diamond pattern and same on one side, the ito on the other.

Hope that helps!

OK, got it. Here's the evolutionary steps illustrated in the right sequence.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Here's the Mekugi screw on my 95, which I have dated to be post June 1939 configuration by the grip. The way I read the spreadsheet of changes made on 24th June, the nut side of the Mekugi did not have a groove for a screwdriver before this June 1939 change. Can someone supply a photo? As you see, mine is properly punched to prevent the screw coming loose, as per the manual shown in post 14.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto  

Quote by dunit35 View Post
    Great information Nick.

When my wife finds our bank statements I'm blaming everyone on this forum. If I haven't been on here in over a week, you know what happened to me.
    Wives all read from the same book!

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Here's the Mekugi screw on my 95, which I have dated to be post June 1939 configuration by the grip. The way I read the spreadsheet of changes made on 24th June, the nut side of the Mekugi did not have a groove for a screwdriver before this June 1939 change. Can someone supply a photo? As you see, mine is properly punched to prevent the screw coming loose, as per the manual shown in post 14.
    Hi Nick,

I can't help you here I'm afraid. My sword in the 7000 range is missing the nut end. I did see one intact recently, but I honestly cannot remember taking notice of any difference at the time. In my defense, there were a lot of swords and I was somewhat overwhelmed and busy. Perhaps they looked like the Type 32 screws, which need a special tool to remove the nut.

Cheers, Steve

All of my 95's have the slotted nut. My Copper handle 95 is pre- but doesn't have the lower mekugi screw. Only 1 of mine has the punched dimple in the end of the screw. The rest were not punched.

Thank you, both. Then the sheet must be talking about the grommet for the Sarute. Is there any configuration change on the nut side of that grommet? Mine has a grooves, but was there no groove before?

?

Hi Nick,

Just referring to my initial photo's, the nut side of the grommet has the groves to accept a screwdriver. This is true for my copper (600 range) with original leather sarute, my early aluminium (7000 range) and later swords. I'll have a look through some more tonight, but I do not think there will be difference unfortunately. This is a confusing change if it is referring to the sarute barrel nut, as I would have thought that the copper at least should display the change.

I would not rule out the possibility that the early aluminium (7000 range) may have had a different nut in the handle. I just unfortunately do not have anything to confirm or deny this at present, since mine is missing.

Cheers, Steve

?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Thank you, both. Then the sheet must be talking about the grommet for the Sarute. Is there any configuration change on the nut side of that grommet? Mine has a grooves, but was there no groove before?
    Hi Nick,
    I've looked at my set and believe i have an example that you can see showing the Sarute Barrel nut/bolt with only one side slotted to accept a screwdriver (middle picture) It is a copper handled model, which shows cause for the change spec you disclosed earlier on.

Cheers

?

Just adding on from Nick's comments regarding the lower Machine screw (mekugi screw), all my examples have slotted nuts and centre puched for security (preventing it to loosen - as no spring washers are used).
    Some examples for you to see..

The only observation i can make with these is that the very early screws were counter sunk in design, while the later ones had more of a domed shape head to the screw and nut.
    Here's a picture of one i made as a replacement a few years back now, when i still had access to a lathe and milling machine.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast