Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A short kyu gunto with some questions

Article about: Hello everyone - I would like to show you this short kyu gunto. Overall length 460mm Length without scabbard 430mm Blade length from seppa to the tip 301mm The blade has the shape hira-zukur

Default A short kyu gunto with some questions

Hello everyone -
    I would like to show you this short kyu gunto.

Overall length 460mm
    Length without scabbard 430mm
    Blade length from seppa to the tip 301mm

The blade has the shape hira-zukuri. It is very scratched and has some cracks in the cutting edge. Near the habaki it is about 4.5mm thick, similar to the japanese dress swords. I consider it a simple machine-made blade, not nihontō.

Unfortunately I don't know what use this sword was for - maybe made for the IJA or the police or civil employees. Perhaps it is a gift for a retired officer…
    I hope somebody has already seen such a piece and can help.
    Maybe the translation of the surrender tag will help - unfortunately I am not able to do that!
    Thank you!
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A short kyu gunto with some questions   A short kyu gunto with some questions  

A short kyu gunto with some questions   A short kyu gunto with some questions  

Cute sword!!

Surname:
    村瀬
    Murase / Murakami

Dunno if I'm seeing the given name correctly .... looks like a girl's name?????
    千寿子 [older kanji: ]
    Chizuko

Perhaps for some officer's daughter playing dress-up in uniform?

-- Guy

I'm stumped by this one, regardless of the blade. I don't see a 32 ray emblem like that, nor a backstrap pattern like that in either Fuller or Dawson. I'm thinking complete custom order for very senior police or Formosa senior official.

Waiting to see if anyone recognizes this.

There are known examples where a G.I. took a short blade and added a Japanese handle of various types to make a dagger, but I don't think that's what we're seeing. At any rate, I still don't recognize the patterns mentioned.

?

Looking at the photo's I would say it's a traditional blade in there, and one that was originally valued, this based on blade shape and a two piece habaki. No sign of a nut or rivet at the pommel, so I suggest that it is held in by a metal two part mekugi, with flower shaped heads through the back-strap. This might be a friction fit tube type, or a threaded one.
    Use extreme care trying to take it apart, and watch out for a reverse thread if it's a screw fit.

?

Two piece metal mekugi...

A short kyu gunto with some questionsA short kyu gunto with some questionsA short kyu gunto with some questions

I thank you for your opinions and advice!
    The translation is a surprise and raises further questions…
    “Perhaps for some officer's daughter playing dress-up in uniform?” - an amusing idea but the dagger is not a toy. To show the dimension I added a single-handed kyu gunto and a boy´s kyu gunto.

I also think that is custom-made. The sun with 16 long / 16 short rays will be the key to identification. The 10-leaf cherry blossoms already exclude a police sword.

I know this way of fixing the blade. On early kyu gunto you often find this screw connection, sometimes in combination with a mekugi. On almost all the pieces I have held in my hand in recent years, unfortunately the cherry blossoms were damaged and the area around the blossoms scratched. For an exceptionally beautiful and well preserved blade I would loosen the screw connection. But on this dagger I would like to keep the mount in beautiful condition.

Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A short kyu gunto with some questions  

Quote by Michael
    That's an amusing idea but the dagger is not a toy. To show the dimension I added a single-handed kyu gunto and a boy´s kyu gunto.
    Welllll, THAT'S a horse of a different color!

?

For me it’s a child’s sword. Possibly the Father was a police officer

?

I dont think its a childs sword, too wide/large handle and the live blade.
    Childs swords are often crudely made.
    Often the police had shorter blades than the army/navy.

Michael,
    Did you try to unscrew the barrel screw in the handle and see the nakago (tang)? Got some guys really curious, now, to see it.