Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast

Show your Japanese cups

Article about: I havent seen many treads about cups here on the Japanese militaria forum, it has mostly been question about cups. So i thought that i should start one. Im fairly new at collecting cups and

?

Very nice, I have not seen such cups with this tank design before!

The main single kanji in each cup at top refers to the five points of the Military Code of Conduct.

Tom

Thanks Tom! :-)
    The same here it was the first time to see something like this cups, and in a set of five different ones was also nice.

Hello everyone,

Another one to share actually belong to a friend and I was wondering if someone could make a tranlation for it ?

On the side it's suppose to represent the mount Fuji (it's the info that he got from the seller).

Show your Japanese cups
    Show your Japanese cups
    Show your Japanese cups

支那事変記念
    Shina Jihen Kinen
    China Incident Commemoration / Memento

-- Guy

The obverse side says Commemorating the China Incident. The writing impressed into the side is a famous 7th century Waka poem by Akahito Yamabe that goes "If you row out from Tagonoura Bay and look back, you will see, high above, the wonder of a pure white, snow-covered peak of Mt. Fuji "
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 10-17-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Hello Nick and GHP,

Thanks for the translation and info as always !

I will gave him the info.

Hello everyone,

Got this one recently i tought it could be great to up the thread and share it, come with the original box, look very nice.

Show your Japanese cupsShow your Japanese cupsShow your Japanese cupsShow your Japanese cupsShow your Japanese cups

?

Very nice! I really like the vehicle cups, they are not often seen. Having the box is a definite plus!

Tom

Inside the cup:
    支那事変記念
    Shina Jihen Kinen

Poem around the cup exterior:
    敷島の大和心を人問はば朝日に匂う 桜花
    Shikishima no yamatogokoro o hito toi waba Asahi ni niou yamazakurabana.
    The heart of Yamato in Shikishima [old name of Japan] is the scent of mountain cherry blossoms in the morning sun.

Name on bottom:
    清水
    Shimizu

The poem is a waka poem written by Norinaga Moto'ori, a Japanese classical scholar in the Edo period. Shikishima (Shikishima) is another name for Japan and has become a pillow word* for Yamato Province. This song is said to express the Japanese spirit, and was selected as one of the 100 patriotic poems during the Pacific War. In fact, Shikishima, Yamato, Asahi, and Yamazakura, names appearing in the poem, were used for battleships and kamikaze corps, and have been regarded as symbols of reverence for the emperor and patriotism.

*pillow word. In Japanese waka poetry, a poetic device where a certain introductory phrase is commonly used to allude to something else.

Japanese explanation of the waka here.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

GHP ==> Thanks for all the info as always, very interesting to read !

Tomp ==> Well I always try to find them with the box, not easy of course but it's a good challenge

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast