Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?

Article about: This is the second one of these I've seen. Both were small sized army shells with small size navy liners. One is early and has early army hardware. This one is early and has early navy hardw

Default Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?

This is the second one of these I've seen. Both were small sized army shells with small size navy liners. One is early and has early army hardware. This one is early and has early navy hardware. Navy liner, early flat head split pins, and early single ring chinstrap hardware. Could they have used army shells to fill the need for small shell navy orders? Small size navy helmets do exist but like said before are very rare. Does anyone else have examples like this? Would like to see all small size navy or small size army with navy liners/hardware. As a footnote to all this. There are a lot more small size 2d pattern navy covers out there then actual small size navy helmets. I've owned a few over the years.
    S

Known small size examples:
    -2 small size army w/navy liners.
    -2 small size navy round tops
    -1 small size navy t-90
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

?

Interesting item Scott, is there any outline of a navy badge having been on the helmet or do you think the star is the original insignia? If original, maybe the army using navy parts to fulfill army orders?

Hello Russ and thanks for the reply. I don't own the pictured example. I own a similar one. Mine has early army hardware with small size navy liner. There is no sign of an anchor badge at all on the one pictured. I do think it's a possibility these were used to fill small size helmet orders. Unless someone was to find documentation at some point it will always be just a theory. I was happy to see another one of these pop up though. I look for them but don't go out of my way to do so. There is what looks to be a piece of paper behind the wearer's back right liner pad of the subject helmet. I would love to know what that says. It is visible in the close up liner pic. I don't own the pictured helmet though.
    S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Another early small size army shell with small size navy liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?   Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  

Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Small Size Army Helmet Used By Navy? 

Mine

Isn't it more natural to see these as army helmets making use of small navy liners? I don't know how early your "early" is, but the earlier they are, the greater the chance they had liners swapped out in field repairs.

If they were meant for the navy at time of manufacture, it would have been more logical to supply the navy liner together with the navy badge to affix the liners, as both were installed at the same time anyway.

?

Maybe this is one of the 4,000 Army Type 90 helmets urgently requested by Yamamoto in 1937 for the Navy and later had the liner replaced with a Navy one during field repairs? With the Navy being quite enthusiastic users of helmet covers they may have not seen the need to swap insignias later on.

Without any traces of Navy grey helmet paint or inner dome unit markings, considering navy use is a stretch.

Here is a pic that shows a small unit equipped with all early army helmets. Sorry for the quality of the image. In copies they are more visible. There are other pics out there of this practice as well. It's just strange that in all these years of combined collecting only one small size (non round top) navy has surfaced. Yet, here are three of these (all small size) in quick succession when I started to half look for them. Strange that there are now more known small size navy liners then actual small size navy helmets. I like Adachi's thoughts on this. That had not occurred to me before.

Known small size examples:
    -3 small size army w/navy liners.
    -2 small size navy round tops
    -1 small size navy T2 (T-90)

?

The photo above is the Sasebo 2nd SNLF 1st Company 3rd Platoon taken in Port Arthur in late 1937 and is exactly who those army helmets were meant for. Most photos showing the IJN wearing army helmets are of later Sasebo SNLF reinforcements in Shanghai 37, which makes sense as they commited the most troops on the Navy's side and exhausted their supplies the quickest. You can still see the helmets worn in 38 by the Shanghai SNLF in Nanking as well, so they were definitely kept in circulation for some time after. Although it seems there's no solid way to link my theory to any of these surviving examples. At the time 4,000 helmets was no small number—that can outfit over seven standard sized SNLF units, so I think a few surviving is not out of question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast