Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Small translation request: Japanese Kanji ideograms on a British 4.7" headstamp

Article about: Hi guys, Someone is trying to sell the item in the attached image for too much money, stating it to be 'A British 4.7" round that was likely Japanese captured'. IMO, I very, very strong

?

Default Small translation request: Japanese Kanji ideograms on a British 4.7" headstamp

Hi guys,

Someone is trying to sell the item in the attached image for too much money, stating it to be 'A British 4.7" round that was likely Japanese captured'.
    IMO, I very, very strongly doubt the additional Japanese markings on the base to indicate usage by the Japanese. In fact, I think they're far more likely to be commemorative, but well, I would love to be proven otherwise of course...

Can someone perhaps translate the Kanji markings so I know what they mean?

BTW: my main reasons for not thinking of "official markings" are:
    1) The items that I've seen that were captured by the IJA and then re-used had no particular additional markings (not sure about the IJN).
    2) Commemorative texts are VERY common on items, be they foreign, or Japanese.
    3) The 'straight line' style of markings does not come across as anything official at all.

IMO, if this were Japanese captured, I would rather have expected at most a simple way to indicate an arsenal that would have inspected/refurbished it. The expected marking(s) would then IMO more than likely be an arsenal mark (or anchor), an IJN acceptance mark, an encircled Katakana marking indicating an IJN arsenal and/or a single Kanji indicating an IJN arsenal.

I hope someone can give me a (rough) translation so I can see if it can be determined either way round.

Cheers,
    Olafo

Small translation request: Japanese Kanji ideograms on a British 4.7" headstamp

Made in Shanghai

上海製造局砲弾廠造
    Shànghǎi zhìzào jú pàodàn chǎng zào [in Chinese]
    Shanhai seizō-kyoku hōdan-shō zō [in Japanese]

Shanghai Factory ammunition manufacturing station structure

--Guy

?

Hello,

Thanks a lot for that translation! So it appears to be an original arsenal text after all, be it of Chinese origin instead of Japanese (which explains why I couldn't ID it as having come from a Japanese arsenal).
    Interesting! Bummer that it's still much too expensive, otherwise it would have been a nice item to get.

Cheers,
    Olafo