Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Storage of an NCO sword

Article about: Hello: what would be the best way to store an NCO sword? In the scabbard or outside of it? And if outside of the scabbard, should the sword be wrapped in anything protective? A few pictures

?

Default Storage of an NCO sword

Hello: what would be the best way to store an NCO sword? In the scabbard or outside of it?

And if outside of the scabbard, should the sword be wrapped in anything protective?

A few pictures below.

Thanks!

Storage of an NCO sword
    Storage of an NCO sword
    Storage of an NCO sword
    Storage of an NCO sword
    Storage of an NCO sword
    Storage of an NCO sword

It appears that the scabbard has kept the blade safe all of these years, no reason to suspect it won't continue to do so.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Light oil and back in scabbard

?

If storing the sword in the scabbard is OK, then should both be stored horizontally with the edge up or is vertical storage OK with the tsuka up? I ask as vertical storage is easier for me but I want to do what is best to maintain the condition of the sword.

I don't think either will have an impact on the blade. The only concern to me in this issue is wear on the fittings. However you store, try to do the least amount of rubbing, knocking, etc to the exterior.

Nice Type 95.

Guntos were worn blade down in Tachi style like in your photo and Samurai swords were worn in reverse, blade up. As I already explained, they go on the rack as worn. Vertical Tachi stands also exist, but then the sword is always placed Tsuka down.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Storage of an NCO sword  

Here's an official army gunto stand from 1944, configured identically to a vertical Tachi stand with dimple below and slot above.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Storage of an NCO sword  

?

Fascinating to see the army gunto stand. Nick, not that I can read Kanji, but out of curiousity, where are these types of documents archived? I have seen many of the other similar military documents that you have posted on this forum. Hopefully, they have been backed up on digital media.

Note how the newspapers featured the Rinjiseishiki sword in January 1941. It is displayed Tsuka down in a Tachi mount as per tradition.