Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship

Article about: While cleaning my 3 Nagoya Type 95's, I noticed the bo-hi on one of the side-latch blades was different on one side from the other. I compared the work to the other Nagoyas as well as some o

Default Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship

While cleaning my 3 Nagoya Type 95's, I noticed the bo-hi on one of the side-latch blades was different on one side from the other. I compared the work to the other Nagoyas as well as some of my Kokura 95s, which were all uniform. The one with the non-matching bohi's, serial number Seki 202446, has an "early" number, considering that Nagoya was given the 200,000 serial number range, and they were probably making around 8,000 per year. This would have put this blade in the first year of production.

I have another very early production 95 (Na 10506) and it is more, shall I say "sloppily" made. Or maybe I should say irregularities compared to later guntos.

I think there was probably a learning curve as teams of factory workers gained experience. It is human nature after all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship  
    Attached Images Attached Images Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship 

In comparison, here are a couple of mid-war Kokuras
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship  
    Attached Images Attached Images Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship  Striving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship 

?

Hi Bruce,

I've stressed this in a couple of threads and on NMB. There are differences in 95s between manufacturers and within production runs. Some produce very consistently high quality swords (Gifu is a good example) while others have a varying history (IIjima varies throughout their known serial number range and Seki seems to be circumspect later after starting out on-par with Gifu). There are periods of high quality work and periods of low quality work, without any particular pattern sometimes. Typically as the war progressed the quality drops, which is particularly obvious in side-latch pattern 4 and pattern 5 wooden handles, both of which have examples of top manufacturing and examples of very poor manufacturing.

Kissaki, serial numbers, bohi, Saya and ito patterns can all vary between the manufacturers, and sometimes between the same manufacturer. I've thrown in a couple of old pics I attached to another thread discussing whether a 95 was a Polish repro or genuine. A Short Development History by Nick also demonstrates some of these differences. Striving for Perfection? Early CraftsmanshipStriving for Perfection? Early Craftsmanship

Thanks Steve! Good reminder. I remember some of those discussions now.

What tickled me was the variation of quality from one side of the blade to the next!!! It almost looks like the 2 bohi were done by 2 different guys!

As seen in the recent newspaper clipping, boys and girls 15 years old and older all had to work in factories including night shifts from April 1944 onwards, so that would have affected quality a lot.

?

Agreed Bruce, that's a bit of a funny one and nice to see because of it. The old 'fake' band-wagon would be playing loud and proud were certain individuals to see something like this. But the degree of faking and quality of it is a rumor spread by merchants with an agenda. I have a chuckle every time I read a commercial websites comments where they are trying to sell a junky example of a type 95, sprouting the usual;

'So hard to find a genuine example, almost all are fakes, cannot tell the difference unless you have seen hundreds, most faked sword ever!'

What a load of bull!