MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Submarine Badge

Article about: Here is a sub badge I picked up recently. The back is inscribed: Masatoshi Kudo Sasebo volunteer sailor engineering service number 11534 I read in one of Nick's threads that these were not g

Default Submarine Badge

Hello everyone, here is a sub badge I picked up recently. The back is inscribed:
    Masatoshi Kudo
    Sasebo volunteer sailor
    engineering
    service number 11534

I read in one of Nick's threads that these were not given to every graduate at sub school. If I remember correctly they were only given to sailors that learned a submarine specific skill. There was a boxed example on a dealer's site some time back. The box was said to read “Navy Submarine School Student Superior Performance Badge”. So was this a graduation badge, one recognizing superior performance or both? Also, the few inscribed examples I've seen seem to all be from Sasebo. Was this the location of the sub school or one of a few? At any rate I've wanted one for a long time and was happy to get it. Anyone else have examples to share? I would love to see them all. Feel free to post them on this thread. Thanks for looking.
    S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Submarine Badge   Submarine Badge  

Submarine Badge  

?

Great badge with the inscription details Scott!

My one has a plain reverse and came out of Yokosuka.

Regards

Russ

?

My understanding from another collector/researcher is that there are 10 different proficiency awards in both 1st and 2nd class. The submarine badge is not included in that list. Has anyone ever seen a 1st class version or is this the only type?

Regards

Russ

?

The original order introducing these badges in 1909 said it was to be worn by those with two or more continuous years of service on submarines. At some point "school" appears to have been added to the name. It was apparently discontinued in 1944.

For whatever reason these badges came in only one version. Lots and lots of repro's out there over the years - some really cheap and poor ones and some really good ones with accurate details.

I love Scott's with the name scribed on the backside!

Submarine BadgeSubmarine BadgeSubmarine Badge
    Here are some pictures of my sub badge. This size is the only one that I have ever seen so I don’t know if there are different classes like there are with the naval proficiency badges.
    Tom

?

Here's mine. There are some faint characters and numbers scratched in to the reverse.

Regards

Russ

Submarine Badge

Submarine Badge

Japan's experience with subs began just before the Russo-Japanese War, when 5 Holland Class subs were imported from the USA, which is the sub depicted in the badge.

These subs were initially based in Yokosuka, but waters there were too rough for training on these midget subs, so training operations were moved to Kure in 1920 where the sub school was established.

Thus from 1920 the badge got renamed as a graduation badge from this course, given to 3rd and 2nd class seamen or firemen successfully finishing the course. NCO wearers of the badge had to surrender it upon being promoted to warrant officer, and the badge could also be taken away as punishment for disciplinary infractions and poor performance.

In 1915, the navy also tried to establish a sub commander's badge, but this plan fell through, due to opposition within the navy itself.

Quote by RussM View Post
    Here's mine. There are some faint characters and numbers scratched in to the reverse.
    Russ,

Yours is named to a Kure engineer [most likely engineer] named Inoue.

井上 Inoue
    呉志機 Kure Volunteer Engineer
    一〇二** 102**

I'm taking a guess at engineer because I see more strokes related to that kanji. Hopefully someone can corroborate that.
    Submarine Badge
    [expands when opened]

Submarine Badge

-- Guy

?

Awesome Guy, thank you!!

Regards

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast