Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sword ID paper and translation?

Article about: My grandfather was a Japanese American with Military Intelligence and participated in the occupation of Japan post war. The story goes that he picked this up off a truck load of other swords

Default Sword ID paper and translation?

My grandfather was a Japanese American with Military Intelligence and participated in the occupation of Japan post war.

The story goes that he picked this up off a truck load of other swords. Apparently the only action it has seen since then was when my father played fruit ninja in the 70s.

I have not tried looking at the tang because I don't want to accidentally damage it (it looks like someone replaced the peg holding the grip to the blade with a piece of chopstick). I don't have pictures of the sword on hand. Tied with string to the grip was a small note which I have posted here. Is it some kind of family identifier?

ThanksSword ID paper and translation?
    Attached Images Attached Images Sword ID paper and translation? 
    Last edited by DoubleCanister; 09-20-2018 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Attempting to upload better photo

MAP
    ?

Would sure love to see the sword eventually

the peg is called a Mekugi. Very possible it was taken out to see what was on the tang at one point.

Others will help with the translation I'm sure.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very possible it was taken out to see what was on the tang at one point.
    I doubt this is the case. I think my father would have said something if it had been identified. I believe when I last saw it (it has been a while) that the ray skin had begun parting a little and the peg was actually bent at an angle (The reason I suspect it is not original is because it protruded about a few centimeters on either side of the grip). I think it has to do with some teenage shenanigans more than anything else. I will try to pull it out some time in the near future and upload some pics .

The paper looks like it reproduces the smith's name and date from the tang:

荘司次郎太郎直勝
    Shoji Jiro Taro Naokatsu

安政三年丙振三月日

Ansei 1856, Hinoetatsu, A Day in March

丙辰 is read as Hinoetatsu and Heishin. It is the 53rd year of the sexagenary [zodiac] cycle. After 1856: 1916, 1976; etc
    wiki 丙辰 year chart

Naokatsu is the 10th smith from the top, p.34
    Naokatsu.

Another of his at auction.

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    荘司次郎太郎直勝
    Shoji Jiro Taro Naokatsu

安政三年丙振三月日

Ansei 1856, Hinoetatsu, A Day in March

丙辰 is read as Hinoetatsu and Heishin. It is the 53rd year of the sexagenary [zodiac] cycle. After 1856: 1916, 1976; etc
    wiki 丙辰 year chart

Naokatsu is the 10th smith from the top, p.34
    Naokatsu.

Another of his at auction.

--Guy
    Thank you!

Quote by DoubleCanister View Post
    Thank you!
    Wow ... I just posted and you responded immediately.

It's 10:35pm here in California .... you must be burning the midnight oil ... and checking frequently!!

--Guy

It says "Soji Jiro Taro Fujiwara Naokatsu", 3rd Year of Ansei (1856) Hinoetatsu March. Here's an earlier sword made by the same smith.

So the mekugi had been removed to check the Mei before the sword was thrown onto the truck for destruction. The occupation forces initially wanted to destroy all swords, but later agreed to return ones that could be seen as art, so this one must have gone through that screening. It would have had another tag that carried the name and address of the owner, but that tag must have gotten removed once the Mei was read.

You will absolutely need to check whether the Mei on the tang matches the tag.

Just saw that Guy had already replied while I was writing.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    You will absolutely need to check whether the Mei on the tang matches the tag.
    Great advice, Nick.

--Guy

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Wow ... I just posted and you responded immediately.

It's 10:35pm here in California .... you must be burning the midnight oil ... and checking frequently!!

--Guy
    I'm still a student. If I am going to be staying up anyway, might as well make the night a bit more enjoyable while I am at it .

Soji Jiro Taro is a Jo-Jo saku swordsmith of the Shin-Shin To period. Ansei 3 nen was a time of peace, but it was the dawn of big turmoil. Within 10 years, Japan would see changes like never before. Those are the Jidaigeki and Taiga drama materials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast