Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s

Article about: System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s The Kaizen Spirit One bewildering aspect of the historical research I do into IJA equipment and weaponry is that all that I rea

Default System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s

The Kaizen Spirit

One bewildering aspect of the historical research I do into IJA equipment and weaponry is that all that I read in prewar documents sounds so familiar to me, evoking a sense of déjà vu as if I even know what comes next without reading further. That is because my professional experience and training in the Japanese manufacturing industry is largely overlapping with the know-how already present in the industrial state of the 1930s and 40s.

As an instructor in Toyota’s production know-how called TPS (Toyota Production System), I have generally explained to my class how this was mostly a system developed postwar. That was what I myself had come to believe through the training given me by my predecessors at Toyota. But the last few years of studying the IJA’s system of product development and production control have revealed to me that the core of what we call TPS today was already ever present within the lifeblood of the IJA and prewar industry.

Back in the days of the Model 25 Cavalry Sword, the IJA indeed still did not have the TPS knowhow known today as Heijunka, a method that would have allowed a wide variety of sword types to be produced simultaneously without causing the logistical chaos Japan experienced in the Sino-Japanese War. This Heijunka or levelling of production flow is one integral component of the Just-in-Time lean production system, which was indeed a postwar development. However, the core driving force behind the creation of TPS is the spirit of Kaizen (Continuous Improvement), an instinct-like knack for identifying areas in your job-flow that can be improved for higher efficiency.

At Toyota when asked by your superior whether you were having problems in dealing with your work, to answer “No problem, Sir” is highly taboo, as that was seen as tantamount to snoozing on the job. Continuously identifying problems and analyzing its root cause and implementing countermeasures is a duty everyone takes for granted whether you worked on the shop floor, building the cars or whether you were in the showroom selling them.

Human nature is to accept job procedures handed down to you from predecessors backed by scores of years of their experience simply as the best there can be and mindlessly apply yourself to it. However, this does not happen at Toyota, as workers are trained to stay on ones toes and identify problems in three crucial areas. The “3Ms” they call it, and they stand for (1) Muda/Wastefulness, (2) Mura/Inconsistency and (3) Muri/Stressful or Difficult.

The Just-In-Time lean production system was simply born as a postwar developed countermeasure for root causes that triggered problems in one or more of these 3Ms.

This process of identifying a problem, analyzing the root cause and implementing countermeasures is called Kaizen and, as this cycle is run as a perpetual cycle of refinement, Kaizen is thus translated as "Continuous Improvement System".

And the beauty of this system is that such countermeasures developed and discovered are widely shared within the company, not hoarded by the individual as a secret skill, as is often the case in western manufacturing cultures. This is done by sharing the whole process as a Kaizen report that gets published periodically and distributed within the company. Those in other areas, sharing similar problems take hints from these case studies and this creates a knock-on effect that goes company wide.

The IJA's Kaizen Initiatives

What I found was that the IJA Arsenals were already doing this since the 1920s and publishing the results for internal propagation of newly developed know-how. I will show such case studies below by focusing on production improvements implemented for the Type 32 Army Gunto as an example. I could do the same with Type 38 rifles or the Nambu 14 pistols, for that matter, as there are hundreds of such reports in the archives for those weapons, too, but I thought the Type 32 could use some more exposure on this forum, as a sword I have not featured yet in any depth.

The case study publications I picked out range from 1927 to 1936, but instead of showing them by year, I will show them by theme, namely the part of the sword being improved.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-14-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Blade Kaizen Projects

First is the 1927 Kaizen made to the polishing process, addressing Muda and Mura of the 3Ms.

Next is the 1931 milling process preceding heat treatment, addressing Muri of the 3Ms. As you can see in this report, threefold increase in production output is nothing rare in Kaizen.

There was also one about the heat treatment itself, but I’ll omit that.

Shown below are the above two projects in published form
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s   System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s  

Scabbard Kaizen Projects

The 1927 Kaizen introduced a jig or machine-aided bending method to replace pure manual hammering work. This also addressed Muri experienced by the workers.

Then in 1930, they devised a new safer and easier way of cutting a slit into the bottom tip of the scabbard for inserting and welding the drag piece. This addressed all of the 3Ms and boosted productivity by 2.5 times.

1932 saw further improvement to the scabbard bending process of 1927 by automating most of the process. Thus what used to be 95 pcs of output for a 10-hour standard shift was now raised to a whopping 300 pcs.

At this pace of hyper-productivity, there is no surprise that they ended up with too many Type 32 Gunto in stock to afford timely introduction of the new Type 95 design.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s   System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s  

Grip Kaizen Projects

How to fabricate the wooden grips for the Type 32 Sword seemed to be the bottleneck in completing the sword, despite productivity increases in leaps and bounds in other parts of the sword.

Milling wood into shape required a lot of skill (Muri, Mura) and time (Muda), so the 1931 round introduced a stamping method that reduced unit cost by 29%.

Then in 1933, they found a way to finetune the blades and jigs to boost production output for a 10-hour shift from the previous 15 grips to 30 pcs, doubling output.

However, with scabbard production already up to 300 pcs per shift, grip productivity was still lagging far behind.

Then came the automated checkering of the wooden grips in 1934 that boosted production flow threefold.

Then another Kaizen of 1936 more than doubled the mill-forming productivity of the grips.

System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s   System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 03-14-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Tassel Production Kaizen

Back in 1930, the core pieces for the leather tassel used to be made from thin leather strips rolled up using glue. This was a slow and wasteful process that produced only 26 pcs for each 10-hour shift. So a new pressing system was developed that raised the output to 210 pcs for the same hours of work.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture System Kaizen behind the Type 32 Gunto production of the 1930s  

Relevance of TPS to the business environment of the 2020s

No wonder why I feel so much in my element when wading through all these old Kaizen reports. I realize I am part of a very long tradition of Japanese style manufacturing.

It may all sound like old outdated know-how, but it has lost none of its magical power to make the impossible a reality.

Ironically, Japanese computer companies that did not embrace TPS have failed in droves in recent years and an American company that seriously tried it out has come to the forefront in the world markets.

I’m referring to the demise of Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic and the outright dominance of Dell. It's true.

?

What an interesting and educational thread Nick , thoroughly enjoyed reading through this , thanks for sharing your research . This is now added to your Master reference found in the "Sticky" list at the top of this forum .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I might as well add a Kaizen case on Type 94 Guntos for officers here.

W. Edwards Deming would be proud of you!

-- Guy

I often refer to Steve Martin's comedy film, "Cheaper by the Dozen" when lecturing on TPS, as the father of the author, who wrote the story was none other than Frank_Bunker_Gilbreth, a forerunner to Professor Deming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast