Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Tang Translation

Article about: Can anyone help with who the smith was on this blade? Machine made or hand forged? Thanks!

MAP
    ?

Default Tang Translation

Can anyone help with who the smith was on this blade? Machine made or hand forged?

Thanks!

Tang Translation

Tang Translation

Tang Translation

Tang Translation

Tang Translation
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

While I can't help with the signature, from what I can see of the temper line, it looks to be a machine made blade.
    I have a naval sword that is signed, but a machine made blade.
    My Officer's sword is unsigned, but is a hand made blade.
    Could you see any grain structure on the blade, (similar to a very discreet damascus)?
    Here is a photo of the blade and temper line on my hand made blade.
    Ralph.

Tang Translation

Tang Translation
    Last edited by rbminis; 03-05-2023 at 06:12 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Thanks Ralph.

The sword was at a local show and it was difficult to photograph (especially with the sub par lighting) but it did appear that it might have a hamon (I didn't bring a loop nor my reading glasses so couldn't look up close ) Even then, I know that this does not necessarily make it a hand forged blade. Story is that the Vet brought it for appraisal to the NBTHK but the paperwork was lost long ago.

I have no illusions about the blade, but though it was worth a shot at identifying it especially since it had two Mekugi-Ana holes on the Nakago.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It does have the pierced tsuba, so that is nice.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

藤原貞行
    Fujiwara Sadayuki

Markus Sesko lists many Sadayuki smiths in his Japanese Swordsmiths; none of the Showa-era Sadayukis signed as "Fujiwara Sadayuki."

Other older smiths used a long mei incorporating "〇〇〇〇Fujiwara Sadayuki" .... but the only one that signed solely "Fujiwara Sadayuki" was the following:

SADAYUKI (貞行), Keichō (慶長, 1596-1615), Bungo – “Fujiwara Sadayuki” (藤原貞行), Fujiwara-Takada school, dense itame-nagare mixed with masame, suguha in ko-nie-deki with ko-ashi and yō, also a suguha-chō with ko-midare and sunagashi, the bōshi is sugu or midare-komi and has a ko-maru- or pointed kaeri

That is not to say this is your smith! It is the only one I can find to fit your mei.

This mei is too faint to compare to your sword, but the description places it at Edo period ca 1658.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Early, Type 94 fittings with the second, removeable haikan (belt hanger ring) which is quite often missing! My 1.5 cents - dark black old rust says "old" blade, along with Guy's evaluation, and the 2 holes - I'd say this is an old traditionally made blade refitted for the war. A really nice sword.

MAP
    ?

Guy/Bruce/ Ralph

Thanks so much.

I know very little about these but it looked like a really nice sword. As said it was a vet pick up and the story from the family is that the vet did have it evaluated decades ago but the paper work has been lost to time.

It might be worth picking up and committing a little time into investigating, it might be a "gem in the rough" so to speak.
    Although it's not really "in the rough" as the fittings are nice and correct.
    It might be a surprise like your other sword Michael.
    Ralph.

MAP
    ?

That is what I was hoping Ralph. It really is in great condition too.

Let's see what will happen.