Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)

Article about: I made the really stupid mistake of bidding for a katana in an auction without doing any research first (it wasn't even a good fake!), and I'm very eager to not repeat that again... So I'm h

Default Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)

I made the really stupid mistake of bidding for a katana in an auction without doing any research first (it wasn't even a good fake!), and I'm very eager to not repeat that again... So I'm hoping someone here would be kind enough to give a second opinion?

In brief, there are these two swords coming up in an auction I've found, and they're not even described as Katanas, let alone WW2 ones, but I immediately recognised that they could be - one looks to be a Shin-Gunto, and the other a type 95.

I'm trying to get the auction house to give me better pictures, but in the meantime, do these look real to you?

Any and all help is much appreciated, I'm always willing to learn more.

(Shin-Gunto first)

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)   Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)  

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)   Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)  

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)   Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)  

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)  

And here is the type 95 (I'm quietly more confident about this one after reading some of the stickied threads);

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)

?

The Type 95 was made by Suya and it is real. Just make sure the scabbard matches the blade serial number if paying top dollar.

Thank you, that's great news. What is top dollar though?

Also, any thoughts on the Gunto?
    Last edited by Ghoul414; 06-13-2023 at 05:38 PM.

I have had more pictures from the auction (I have to say its a shame they can't take them all in focus though!):

Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)Are these WW2 katanas? (I'm trying to buy my first one)
    Last edited by Ghoul414; 06-13-2023 at 06:24 PM.

?

On the Type 98 Officer's Sword, the handle wrap is incorrect. This will cost you about US$300 to have this fixed. The scabbard seems to be two-toned, green and black? It should be one or the other, not both. What you really need are pictures of both sides of the tang. In the meantime, below is a link about sword care.
    Care Guide

The value of Japanese swords vary by the country you live in. I am not familiar with the pricing in the UK or continental Europe.

Thanks Kiipu, and that's a good spot with the scabbard! I think they must have got some pictures mixed up in the auction or done something really strange when taking the picture, because it seems one colour (very dark green?) in the images where you can see the whole thing.

Most importantly though, you haven't immediately remarked it is a Chinese fake, which is somewhat reassuring - so even if the wrap is not correct, do you think the type 98 is at least an antique (pre 1950s) sword?
    Last edited by Ghoul414; 06-13-2023 at 11:14 PM.

By the way, the auction is tomorrow, so if anyone else has any doubts about either sword, please do let me know!

?

I downloaded the pictures of the Type 98 and it looks OK other than the handle wrap. The pictures are low resolution though. The scabbard is monotone and it is black with no green. I do not think it is a reproduction and is likely a mid-war manufactured Type 98. The sword would have been made prior to 1950. Good luck with the auction!

Noooo, I just lost both bids at the auction :')

One guy was literally bidding on every sword, Katana, bayonet or otherwise and really driving up the prices!

The type 98, dodgy wrap and all went for £1,000 (when you include the auction fees).

The type 95 went for £690 (inc. auction fees)

I thought I might lose on the type 98, but didn't realise the 95, metal hilt and all would be so expensive. Are those really the normal prices for unverified swords, being bought from an online auction with no documentation?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast