Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Translation Request

Article about: This kanji is on an army helmet liner pad. I'd greatly appreciate a translation. Thanks in advance!

?

Default Translation Request

This kanji is on an army helmet liner pad. I'd greatly appreciate a translation. Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation Request   Translation Request  

Translation Request   Translation Request  

A couple of kanji I cannot decipher:

臣第二九六二部隊 [“Retainer” Corps No. 2962]
    技術課 [Technical Department]
    ??分室 [?? Branch Office]
    隊長用 [Element Leader Use] I use “element” in the military sense: “Unnamed unit size”

We’ll definitely need Nick’s read on this.

— Guy

臣 means retainer, but I cannot guess as to it’s meaning here.

?

Looks to me like the code kanji for the Ministry of the Army, but I don't have that particular code. Might be a later code, as in: 29611. Maybe the unit commander got to hang out with Tojo!

Tom

?

Thanks gentlemen for your efforts. I appreciate it! I thought the handwriting was beautifully done but understand.

That would have been an office air raid helmet used by the commander of the Sendai branch of the Army Arsenal. Code number 2962 must have been reassigned late in the war, as that number is shown in late war lists as the 72nd Independent Infantry Battalion. Whereas another list shows the combination of 臣2963 as the Chukai Chemical Warfare Arsenal. That list does not happen to show 臣2962, but combined with what's written on the helmet, we can be pretty sure it was for the Sendai office of some technical development branch of the army arsenal.

?

Thanks Nick. I appreciate your final translation. Thanks for everyone's help! I should add helmet is standard type 90 not that matters

?

Can we see the rest of the helmet? Looks like it could be in great condition!

Regards

Russ

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    ... Sendai branch...
    Thanks Nick!!

Ara! I didn't recognize that kanji as -- the "mountain" portion looked different to me due to glare. And I forgot that Sendai once was spelt as (today it is ).

臣第二九六二部隊
    技術課
    仙臺分室
    隊長用

--Guy

?

Will post photos of exterior of helmet tomorrow . I think Nick's going to love it

?

Bought this helmet 20 + years ago as you see it at my last Max show.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation Request  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast