Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Translation request

Article about: Hello, Could someone please do a traduction for me? I have this navy picture with this writing on the back would know what it says. As always thank you for youre time and help!!!

Default Translation request

Hello,

Could someone please do a traduction for me? I have this navy picture with this writing on the back and i would know what it says.
    As always thank you for youre time and help!!!Translation request

I'm only good at dates, so the left side reads "January 1, 1945". Someone else will have to give you the right side.

?

東艦天城 Toukan Amagi
    Not sure what Toukan means, maybe eastern fleet. I assume Amagi is the aircraft carrier.

Thank you kindly for youre time and help. It is mutch appreciated. Very cool to known.
    Regards Delibes

Quote by adachi View Post
    東艦天城 Toukan Amagi
    Not sure what Toukan means, maybe eastern fleet. I assume Amagi is the aircraft carrier.

It's 軍艦. 東 is misreading. Amagi is now famous through the song 天城越え.

東艦 was indeed a legitimate word in the IJN vocabulary. It was read Azuma Kan, literally "Ship from East Japan", which was the nickname for the IJN's earliest Ironclads like those used in the US Civil War. Why the carrier Amagi was likened to an Azuma ship is not clear to me and neither am I too keen to find out, but it is unlikely that the author intended to write 軍艦 (War Ship), as in that case, a navy man would have written 空母 (carrier) instead.

Translation requestTranslation requestTranslation requestTranslation requestThank you nick for your help!!! This picture came with a bigger grouping of pictures. On another of the pictures there is the same writing. The grouping is of a seaman undergoing his training with some pilot pictures.
    There is a little note with the pictures would love to know what is written on it. I hope my pictures are clean enough to translate. Thank you for helping me.
    Regards Delibes.

Now it appears that Sporter90's thinking that it was intended as , but ended up looking like was correct after all.
    It is not misstwritten, but just an idiosyncrasy of the handwriting style in which the brush drags where it should have cleanly left the paper's surface. The second example of the same writing proves this as an interim sample.

I won't bother with translations of the other writing, as they are straight forward, ranks and names only.

Due to Amagi's history of midway conversion into a carrier, whether it was a battleship or carrier was a decisive distinction to take advantage of loopholes in the armament reduction treaty, but your sailor was obviously oblivious to such political hairsplitting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast