Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation request?

Article about: Hello everyone, This navy jumper came in today and i would like to know what the kanji means please? I hope the 2 picture is readable?? Thank you kindly for youre time and help it is very ap

Default Translation request?

Hello everyone,

This navy jumper came in today and i would like to know what the kanji means please?
    I hope the second picture is readable??
    Thank you kindly for youre time and help it is very appreciated!!!

Regards
    Delibes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation request?   Translation request?  

Tag says "Matsumoto". See Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges

On the cloth is a different name, "Minagawa, 2nd Squad"

Thank You nick for clearing this out for me! Learned something new to me about these tags very interesthing!
    As always very appreciated.
    Greetings

?

Unless there is an indication of the squad belonging to a company, in navy terms buntai usually means section/division. Every ship crew and most ground based units were divided into a number of them, each under the command of an officer.

?

Tag looks recently sewn on

Thank you adachi for youre help interesting to know just sad the white navy tag inside was cut off en Jareth i agree with you imo was sewn on it to give more character on the jumper for selling. I paid not mutch for the 2 so it is ok for me just take the tag off and it goes in the collection. Anyway thank you all!!!

To be specific to the Naval Academy, with 1940 as an example, the school consisted of 48 Buntai units, each Buntai being 41-42 men, consisting of 1st to 4th graders. A Buntai shared the same sleeping and study quarters, and it was the most senior 4th graders that disciplined their juniors by rule of fist in every detail (uniform, walking posture, bed-making, manner of ascending and descending stairs, etc). Although a company grade officer was nominally attached to each Buntai as a supervisor, they basically deferred to the 4th graders for unit management.

The navy Buntai was roughly equivalent to an army company in function, but this unit distinction basically only applied to training as described above or for personnel management, not as a combat unit.

?

Every naval district SNLF company commander officially held the title of buntaicho as well. This somewhat carried over to other ground units, but navy buntai are quite broad of a formation overall.