Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF) with kanji needing translation

Article about: These canteens are not for sale and are part of my personal Imperial Japanese artifact collection -Thanks, Darren

Default Two Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and NLF) with kanji needing translation

Would appreciate any translations from these canteens. -Thanks

Two Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationTwo Imperial Japanese Canteens (Army and SNLF)  with kanji needing translationyo
    Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-27-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Very nice canteens. Thanks for posting.
    John O.

MAP
    ?

Very nice.

It is my understanding that unless there is something to tie a canteen to the SNLF or NLF, it is correctly referred to as an IJN canteen.

Nick has a great thread on IJA canteens. Would assume based on his research that yours is from 1940 and after based on the all wood stopper. (That said he notes that it was made of two different pieces/types of wood and yours looks to be a single piece)

Here it is.

The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The scratched name is to Nakajima

中島
    Nakajima

Strap:
    It's a bit hard for me to make out because some of the stitching is missing -- perhaps a native-speaker could readily understand .... but I sure can't!

六十一

The rest I can't quite decipher"
    ニナソリ
    Ninasori [doesn't make sense]

or

二ナンリ
    Ninanri [also doesn't make sense]

Or the first two kana might be numbers -- and still does not make sense to me:
    二十ソリ
    20 Sori ????????

二十ンリ
    20 nri
    This one is impossible to imagine because a Japanese word will never begin with "n" ~ that is always in the middle of a word, or a final sound in a word.

Uggh! I should have stopped with Nakajima.

--Guy

Last edited by godzilla2007; 12-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Everyone for the input! Thanks guy for the translations...the kanji stitching is difficult due to the condition...it is like a puzzle trying to figure it out.