Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two yosegaki hinomaru

Article about: Hello. Once I bought two Japanese flag. Please tell me whether they are authentic and whether there is someone's name? Best regards,Tim

Default Two yosegaki hinomaru

Hello. Once I bought two Japanese flag. Please tell me whether they are authentic and whether there is someone's name? Best regards,Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two yosegaki hinomaru   Two yosegaki hinomaru  

Two yosegaki hinomaru   Two yosegaki hinomaru  

They both look fine to me. Construction looks correct for the period, silk with leather corner tabs, and the fact that the first flag has multiple discernible handwriting styles in the kanji is also a good sign, as these flags were usually signed by multiple people (fakes often have only a single style throughout the whole flag). The best test is translation though, so hopefully someone else here can tell you what they say!

Thank you very much!

Both flags are from factories in China, not Japan. The first flag reads 呉淞組立班, Goshou (part of the city of Shanghai) Assembly Group. Obviously a Japanese run factory, but no clue as to the nature of the product.
    The other flag is signed by members of a factory in China's Chang Prefecture and commemorates the deployment of Japanese troops to central China.

Thanks so much Nick! This is unusual for me! What year do you think it could be?

The second flag would be 1938/39 vintage, but no way to tell about the first flag

Thanks again!