Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 89 Mortar Round

Article about: I have not been able to find a good reference book that includes information on the varieties of Type 89 mortar rounds. I am attaching pictures of one for sale. Unfortunately it is not local

?

Default Type 89 Mortar Round

I have not been able to find a good reference book that includes information on the varieties of Type 89 mortar rounds. I am attaching pictures of one for sale. Unfortunately it is not local to me so I cannot examine it in person. I have requested more/better pictures of the round, including pictures of it disassembled. I will post if I receive them.

I have confirmed that the serial number of the upper and lower parts of the body of the round match. The safety fork appears to be steel colored, not brass. I am not sure if anything is under the label with writing.

While waiting for updated pictures, is there any feedback on what can be seen? Any areas of concern as to originality of the round?

Thank you for any comments.

Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round

Ammunition does not have serial numbers, (unless it is a guided missile, torpedo or something of that ilk. All components do have a batch or lot number that is specific to that component E.G. the fuze lot, the propellant lot or the filling lot. All these are different and when assembled are give a governing single lot or batch number that is marked in one place on the item of ammunition and recognisable in some specific manner.

Therefore if it has the same lot number on all components then I would be suspicious. To that end the paint job on the filling rings, or role bands, is too new, what appears a repaint, although the pic's are not great. The colours are correct White, Yellow and red. The safety pin to secure the ferrule in the fuze is the correct shape although no mention is made in the period documents as to what the material should be.

Is it a type 88 fuze?

Type 89 Mortar Round

Yep, Looks like it. It requires the rifled mortar as well as setback to arm I'm back in the office in a while. I have the original Technical ID guide for it. I'll confirm then.
    R

?

Default Additional Pictures

I received three additional pictures of the round. Not the best quality. I have confirmed that the safety pin is steel colored, not brass. I have seen pictures of Type 89 mortar rounds with both steel colored and brass safety pins. I would be interested in learning if the Japanese used both types of metal for the pins. Any thoughts on the pull string, as to being original or a replacement?
    Thank you.
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round
    Type 89 Mortar Round