Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Type 90 Helmet

Article about: Hi there. I am sure someone in this forum can help me on this. I have this Japanese Type 90 helmet with no liner in large size and made at the Daido Steel Company from Nagoya. I would like t

Default Type 90 Helmet

Hi there.

I am sure someone in this forum can help me on this. I have this Japanese Type 90 helmet with no liner in large size and made at the Daido Steel Company from Nagoya. I would like to know the translation of the three characters painted on the rim, name a possibility?
    thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 Helmet   Type 90 Helmet  

Either "Madoe" or "Edoma" depending if it is read from the then-standard right to left, or left to right. I have no idea what it means.

マドエ
    Ma-Do-E

エドマ
    E-Do-Ma

Sorry,
    --Guy

?

Guy has done his part for the translation.
    I can not zoom in on these pic's. But my concern is that the paint looks more recent than the helmet paint and it also looks like the paint was added over some scratches that were on the original paint.
    Your pic shows a sign of chin straps. Can you take a pic of the inside of this helmet and post them?
    These were reissued to other countries after WW2 so the painting might not be Japanese.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Here are an extra couple of pictures of my Type 90 helmet. I was informed by the original seller that the chinstrap was repro, but frankly I am not bothered about it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 Helmet   Type 90 Helmet  

?

Nice type 90 shell with original star emblem still attached which is a big plus . Paint looks to have been touched up a little but Hey ......! Internally all looks original but i would remove that chin strap . Incidentally the chin strap loop to the rear of the shell is original and is correct so do not remove that part
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...