Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 90 Helmet Authentication

Article about: Hi all, I recently purchased this Type 90 helmet and was looking for some input on if everything looks OK on it. My main collection focus is US helmets but I've been wanting to add an Army T

Default Type 90 Helmet Authentication

Hi all, I recently purchased this Type 90 helmet and was looking for some input on if everything looks OK on it. My main collection focus is US helmets but I've been wanting to add an Army Type 90 to my collection for a while and finally pulled the trigger. I believe everything looks correct though I don't have nearly the experience with these helmets as I do with the US ones so I wanted a second set of eyes on it.

I believe the liner is stamped showa 12, which would be 1936. The size/factory marks are obscured by some rust but I think it's a large. While the chinstraps are present I'm fairly certain they've been cut down. The two rear liner flaps have padding but the front flap is empty/untied.

There is some Kanji painted in the rear and I believe sewn into one of the liner flaps. If anyone is able to help me translate I would be very appreciative! I wasn't having much luck with google translate.

Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication

Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication

Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication

Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication

The lightbox/camera is really harsh on condition. It's certainly not mint but these are a bit closer to what it looks like in hand. If there's anything else I should take pictures of please let me know!

Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication Type 90 Helmet Authentication

The hand-sewn name is preceeded with a 2.

フナコシ
    2 Funakoshi

There is no such name as Nifunakoshi so I am pretty certain the leading 二 is a number designator of some type.

The name Funakoshi can be written in kanji in various ways, depending on the family:
    船越
    舩越
    舟越
    舟腰
    舛越
    富名腰
    冨名腰
    [used by the Okinawan karate teacher Funakoshi Gichin, the founder of Shotokan karate]
    富姓腰
    冨姓腰

-- Guy

Thank you for the quick reply! I forgot to mention in the original post that I acquired this helmet from a seller in Japan. The listing had claimed the painted name and the sewn name were Funakoshi but that Ni was likely the first syllable of their first name. I'm sure if that would make sense or not but I'm glad to at least know the name.

Totally authentic. Looks like the star is original to the helmet. They are sometimes missing or replaced. The cloth chin straps are often found in this condition so that is not unusual. The padding is often missing as well so having two is good. You could get a repro to replace the third which might help with display. A good one despite the condition issues of the shell paint. Nicely marked. Hopefully, you didn't pay a top price for it which ranges in the $800 to $1,000 range these days. Photo of mine for comparison with a closer look at the uncut chin strap cloth. Neil

Type 90 Helmet AuthenticationType 90 Helmet Authentication

Thanks for the confirmation Neil! The fact that everything looked to be original to this one even if not in perfect condition was what made me pull the trigger. I'll likely leave it as is and just purchase another stand to display it on. After taxes and shipping I paid a hair under $810. I was thinking I may have overpaid a bit but if that's a fair price I'm happy. Yours looks to be in fantastic condition!

The perforations at the liner bridge is the Japanese character for the size large

BillType 90 Helmet Authentication
    Last edited by SHEMP H; 01-01-2024 at 01:19 AM.
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    The perforations in the liner bridge is the Japanese character for the size large

BillType 90 Helmet Authentication
    Thats what I thought but I wasn't certain, thanks for the confirmation!

The helmets are hard to get now so under 800 was an ok price for your helmet. The markings are really fantastic so I would say you did well! Neil

Minor correction: Showa 12 would be 1937.

I just looked at the image of the helmet rim and note he spelt his name Funakoshi as

Funakoshi

This variation was not on the list of Japanese names I consulted.

-- Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast