Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin

Article about: Just picked this up to go with my nice example of this scarce mine. I can read the date and the bottom line looks like it's referring to Tokyo but I'd like to know what the rest says. The US

Default Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin

Just picked this up to go with my nice example of this scarce mine. I can read the date and the bottom line looks like it's referring to Tokyo but I'd like to know what the rest says. The US manual on these mines says they came with differing shear wires ranging from 7 to 200 pounds. The fuse itself has no markings other than the word "safe" on the small cap. Anyone see anything that mentions the shear wire value on this label?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin   Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin  

Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin   Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin  

Cross-posting:
    It is dated showa 17 and was produced at:
    東京工廠製
    Tōkyō kōshō-sei
    Tokyo Arsenal
    (sei means manufactured).

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Cross-posting:
    It is dated showa 17 and was produced at:
    東京工廠製
    Tōkyō kōshō-sei
    Tokyo Arsenal
    (sei means manufactured).
    Mucho Thanky!

The second line from the top reads 信管接続筒を含む ( fuse connector sleeve included). This sleeve allowed two of these fuses to be joined together vertically for improvised anti-tank use as illustrated below.

The fuse and mine became provisional standard on 1st May 1934. The fuse was classified as a secret weapon until October 1939, when it got declassified, so earlier versions would have had a "Secret" stamp on the case.

Research and development files as well as manuals all consistently mention the trigger weight as 140 kg and no mention of variations as claimed in the US manual.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin   Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin  

Thank you Nick! That really clears a lot of stuff up. The connector sleeve is interesting. I thought it was just an additional safety device. This fuse still has it on top just like in the drawing.
    This mine must have been intended for anti vehicular use since 140kg could only be set off by someone as big as me!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin  

Intensive tests were carried out at the Irako Proving Grounds on the Atsumi Peninsula of Aichi Prefecture from May 1933, in which they adjusted the explosive charge until the mine could sever the tracks of the Type 89 tank at their toughest point. Below is how the proving ground ruins look today.
    Attached Images Attached Images Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin  Type 93 Mine Fuse Tin 

Great information and photos! Thanks again!

Nick, one question on the drawing where the two fuses are used coupled together. Is that a block of explosive or some other kind of mine?
    Last edited by arisakadogs; 10-08-2019 at 08:33 PM.

That was their standard explosive pack. You needed to use a fuse aperture borer to make a hole to insert the fuse. By the way, the tests at Irako ended with two prototype variants, a disc shape mine as well as an octagonal version. They asked the Toyama, Infantry and Engineer Schools to test them both in October 1933. The outcome favored the disc shape,and it was also at this time that a rope was attached to make it easier to hurl.

Thank you for the additional information. The rope is a surprise - I thought it was meant to tie it in place or to link it to more mines. Never thought about hurling it!