Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Type 95 Handle for Review

Article about: Hello friends, I had a chance to check out a Type 95 NCO sword the other day, and went home to research the markings...without taking photos of the entire thing. From what I can see it appea

Default Type 95 Handle for Review

Hello friends,

I had a chance to check out a Type 95 NCO sword the other day, and went home to research the markings...without taking photos of the entire thing. From what I can see it appears to be a real one, but I only have photos of the handle to share here.

The only red flag I am seeing, however, is that the screw/nut on the handle has been replaced with a piece of dowel at some point. I believe all Type 95s of this cast handle type should have the screw present. How much would this affect the value?

I would welcome any and all feedback on the originality of the handle, since that's all I can share. Also, the number on the blade matches that on the scabbard throat.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

Type 95 Handle for ReviewType 95 Handle for ReviewType 95 Handle for ReviewType 95 Handle for Review

With only those pics to go by, I'd lean to legitiimate Type 95. The stamps are poorly struck, but look accurate.

You're right about the missing screw. Having never seen one like that, I have no reference to go buy on affecting value. My gut says it wouldn't afftect it much. If you're dickering with a seller, it's certainly something you could try using to knock off $100 or so. Gotta try right?!

Thank you Bruce! I appreciate the insight!

?

Sword is fine.

The missing screw is a huge issue. I would only consider buying the rarest 95 if it were missing that screw, as it is near impossible to get a genuine replacement without buying another complete 95 and tearing that one apart. There are screws that appear from time to time, but you'd be very lucky to find one. I hoard my spare parts like food in a famine. For a common Iijima sword, pass it up and find something better and complete. Complete, good-condition 95 are not rare.