Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto

Article about: After some time researching Gunto's and the Japanese involving in the second world war, I decided it was time to go on the hunt for a Shin Gunto. The pas weekend I finally found 2 swords at

?

Default Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto

After some time researching Gunto's and the Japanese involving in the second world war, I decided it was time to go on the hunt for a Shin Gunto.

The past weekend I finally found 2 swords at the Militracks market, this one appeared the better of the two, and based of what I knew and a second opinion I took the gamble and bought the sword.

So far i've found out(atleast I think), based on the markings, that its probably(?) produced by or at "seki" at the "Kokura" arsenal(?).

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Type 95 NCO Shin GuntoType 95 NCO Shin GuntoType 95 NCO Shin GuntoType 95 NCO Shin GuntoType 95 NCO Shin GuntoType 95 NCO Shin Gunto

Hi m,

Looks like you did well. Immaculate condition! You can read more about this here: ?????? An Arsenal trademark and inspection mark if you haven't seen the Ohmura site already.

Yes, made by the Seki Katana Co., contractor. More precisely it was made for the Nagoya arsenal (hence the Nagoya inspector stamp, center). The Kokura Arsenal was administrative oversight for them and Tokyo. Dates vary, but somewhere around 1940 or 1942, Kokura was disbanded and the Nagoya and Tokyo 1st Arsenals (marked by a star) began stamping their own blades. So yours is pre- '40 or '42, depending upon who's history you decide on.

Also, the leather tassel looks like it lost the end, and someone got creative with that braiding job! Sometimes returning G.I.s did stuff like that. The leather itself looks old enough to be original, but that's not how they looked originally. See the Ohmura site for a good depiction.

?

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your reaction and glad to know that I did well

Think i've got some more interesting stuff to read , based on the Ohmura site i'd say its an initial type(type95).

A replacement tassel would probably be hard to find here in Europe. Guess i'll leave it as is.

Thanks for the information

Here is what the correct tassel looks like as well as the proper sword hanger.
    Nice sword!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto  

?

Seki certainly made some of the nicer swords and are one of the less common subcontractors, so a good choice.