Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels

Article about: NCO tassels on Type 98 gunto and blades (both WWII and older) mounted in leather-covered saya and Type 98 tsuka/tsuba. I have found 4 on a quick NMB search. Adam's (Babu) recent one got me w

Default Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels

NCO tassels on Type 98 gunto and blades (both WWII and older) mounted in leather-covered saya and Type 98 tsuka/tsuba.

I have found 4 on a quick NMB search. Adam's (Babu) recent one got me wondering. The majority of them have what appears to be used/abused NCO tassels, often the knot missing and the ends tied off. In some cases, the entire gunto looks equally beat up, like it saw plenty of time in the field.

I want to propose the idea for discussion that these are NCO gunto, carried under the 1945 Army authorization for NCO carry of family swords. My idea is that when an NCO showed up at a shop with a family blade to be re-fitted, the shop used Type 98 tsuka/tsuba as they wouldn't have had access to aluminum tsuka.

Another angle is the Warrant Officer. I found a 2015 post of a sword - Taken at Kabwet, Burma - where a museum had a fully fitted Type 98, company grade tassel, that was being carried by a captured Warrant Officer. Now, I find it more likely that a Warrant Officer would carry this, than a Type 98 with NCO tassel, but what if the guy came up through the enlisted ranks and became a warrant officer, upgrading his sword to an officer sword, but retaining his NCO tassel, like our "Mustang" officers today, wear their ribbons on their officer shirts (officers don't wear the ribbons on shirts. We're talking A.F.)

I'm getting the feeling from some of these that the tassels are wartime, not G.I. add-ons or post-war add-ons.

What say you?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels   Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels  

Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels   Type 98 styled gunto with NCO Tassels