Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...

Article about: Hello all, I tuned in last week to a local auction that was on-line bidding only. There was a couple swords I was interested in. One was listed as a Takayama sword... I really wanted to veri

Default Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...

Hello all,

I tuned in last week to a local auction that was on-line bidding only. There was a couple swords I was interested in. One was listed as a Takayama sword... I really wanted to verify that it was a Takayama but the auction house refused to send pics of the signature (Weird!). I had doubts of it being a Takayama... the blade tip didn’t look right and neither did the saya (wrapped in white canvas), Tsuka, or the tsuba.
    S
    The sword went for only $630... I really hope I didn’t screw up!

This sword was next to bid on... they had it listed as a type 94 sword. I could be wrong (Most times I am)... but I was confident that this is a type 98.

The sword was described as being in “excellent “ condition with a nice temper line. No signature on the tang, however, the blade to be somewhat old. It also came with the original brown and blue tassel. The saya is in very good condition (No rust, scrapes, or dents). There’s some overspray of white paint on one side of the saya.. I was able to remove most of it.

All the metal pieces have the number “2” stamped on them. Does anybody know what the red marking on the habaki means?

I feel that I got a great deal on this sword for $620.00... I wasn’t expecting to bid or win... you just never know when it comes to auctions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...   Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...  

Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...   Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...  

Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...   Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...  

Here’s a couple more pics...

Also, what does the little bit of leather on the scabbard mean? Just above the suspension ring...

The only bad part I see is on either side of the blade near the tip has turned back in spots... probably from water or condensation. Other than that... it’s in very good condition.

Very difficult to try and photograph the temper line...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...   Type 98 sword in beautiful condition...  

It’s a nice sword! It can be difficult to tell if it’s a 98 or 94. The second hanger loop was removable when they made them, and many of them were taken off. Hard to tell with your pictures, but you might be able to see some scuff marks where the second hanger used to be if there was one. This obviously had a leather cover for the whole scabbard. They were easily damaged, and it looks like the bottom portion was simply cut off. The 94s had thicker Tsuba, and this one could be but it’s hard to say from the pictures.

I am not an expert on the old blades, but this looks to me like it was older than World War II.

I am not a Japanese speaker, and don’t know if the red paint on the habaki has meaning.

Thanks Bruce.

No markings from a second suspension ring on the saya. I also thought the leather on the saya might’ve been from a leather covering too, but wasn’t sure.

I believe this is an older blade as well... was hoping for a signed tang.. oh well...

I’m very happy with the purchase...

D