Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual Japanese sword?

Article about: Hello all, Another sword I saw for sale with unusual beads around the handle... has anybody seen this before? I immediately thought Chinese reproduction. Well, I guess the handle could still

Default Unusual Japanese sword?

Hello all,

Another sword I saw for sale with unusual beads around the handle... has anybody seen this before? I immediately thought Chinese reproduction. Well, I guess the handle could still be a repro... looks like silk cloth over the wood handle and not rayskin.

I believe the blade to be original... even with these poor pics I think I can still see slight hamon. Way over priced at this point for both of these pieces ($2000.00).

It looks like a type 98 with the fittings... just somewhat of an odd one that I haven’t seen before. Weird to have these types of beads on a military sword?

Sorry, these are the only pics that he could provide.

D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual Japanese sword?   Unusual Japanese sword?  

Unusual Japanese sword?   Unusual Japanese sword?  

Unusual Japanese sword?   Unusual Japanese sword?  

Unusual Japanese sword?  

尾州住正泰
    Bishu-ju Masayasu

It could use a polish and end up looking like this:

Unusual Japanese sword?Unusual Japanese sword?
    From Markus Sesko's Japanese Swordsmiths:
    MASAYASU (正泰), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Aichi – “Masayasu” (正泰), family name Shinno (真野), rikugun-jumei-tōshō, jōkō no retsu (Akihide), Fourth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀展覧会, 1941)

From RiceCracker.com
    "This smith worked in Aichi and is written up in John Slough's book, "Modern Japanese Swordsmiths 1868-1945," p. 108. Respected Smith Mano Masayasu (4th seat 1941 Exhibitiion). This is a very high quality gendaito. Signature guaranteed to pass NBTHK Hozon if sent through us."

Cheers,
    -- Guy

P.S. .... about the handle: never saw that before!

Thanks guy! I’m sold on the blade... I’m just not sure about the handle. Also, not sure how much this sword is actually worth. Hopefully, in time, the price will come down if nobody buys it.

I would assume this blade was made just prior to Ww2 or during. I agree... she needs a spa treatment! Grin

Thanks for the info guy!
    D

D,

I doubt the blade was made prior to WWII, at least going by the fittings. The rough wooden saya, painted black, along with the cloth ito and same, indicate this was made in the last year of the war. The beads are extremely unusual. Poor Nick would have a heart attack! Two obvious choices - 1. Post-war re-wrap adding the beads; 2. Last year of the war, things got much looser with quality control. Nick's discussions about the Army having to crack down on non-regulation uniform deviations means that there were enough non-regulation uniform deviations going on that a crack down became necessary! This could be one of them, where a soldier personalized this with something from home. We know from first-hand stories that even men's wives had swords made for their husbands as they were being send off to war. Was this a baby bracelet?

In the end, the new owner will have to make his own conclusions.

Thanks Bruce for the info! Funny you talked about it being a possible rewrap... that’s one of the things I told the seller. Also, I read that information the Nick posted a few months back about the Army cracking down because things got too loose.

The handle just doesn’t look right to me... something is off. Maybe you’re right that it’s a late war piece and supplies were limited. The would account for it not having the white same’ under the cloth wrapping. Baby bracelet? Interesting observation!! And possibly not out of the question.

The saya looks damaged and repainted... all of it cuts down on the value for me. I made an offer but I don’t think he will accept. I told him to list it on eBay... they seem to pay a lot of money for swords, both originals and fakes.

Again, thanks Bruce!

D