House of history - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual raincoat

Article about: Hello everyone, First off, I have to apologize for not having photos to accompany my question, but I was unable to take any. A friend of mine has offered me what he says is a Japanese army r

?

Default Unusual raincoat

Hello everyone,
    First off, I have to apologize for not having photos to accompany my question, but I was unable to take any. A friend of mine has offered me what he says is a Japanese army rain coat. From a distance it looks just like the standard army rain coat, but I do not believe he is correct, since it has none of the usual military markings. Where the stamps should be is a sewn in gauze type label. It does not have the bayonet retaining strap, but instead on the back has two thin loops to retain a belt. The buttons are also the green baked clay type. Can this be a navy item or just civilian like I suspect. If I can get some photos I will try to post them. I look forward to any ideas, help or theories about this coat. Thank you in advance.
    Vic

Hello Vic,

It will be hard to identify without photos, it certainly does not sound like a standard Army coat. I can show my standard raincoat for comparison. Apologies for the shadowy light, my war room has poor lighting and it is night here.

This is a standard single breasted light cotton coat with a button-on hood. As I understand it, these were not overly popular to use as intended. Understandably I should add, as I cannot imagine it’s rain shielding attributes were too good. This example is not marked, or ink mark has faded. There is a collar tag though, showing size kanji (large) and numeral. It has a bayonet loop strap. Buttons are made from wood, the larger front lot appear dyed or lightly painted a light green; while the smaller buttons appear a natural light timber colour. There are no belt loops but two solidly sewn-in weight retaining buttons on the sides.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual raincoat   Unusual raincoat  

Unusual raincoat   Unusual raincoat  

Unusual raincoat   Unusual raincoat  

Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

?

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. I’m going to ask my buddy for som photos. I have an army coat as well that is identical to yours, which is beautiful by the way. Except for the differences I mentioned earlier, they look very similar. I’ve never seen a navy rain coat though, so I didn’t know if that’s what I was looking at. It could even be privately purchased by an office or just a plain old civilian model. Either way it’s cool. But I just want to have a more definitive idea of what it is before I reach for my wallet.

?

Here a version for officers

Unusual raincoat

Unusual raincoat

note the opening for the katana hook

Unusual raincoat

Unusual raincoat

here i think the name , some can translate it , thanks

Unusual raincoat

?

If you like i have this who need a new owner

Unusual raincoat

Unusual raincoat

Unusual raincoat

?

Thanks for the reply, those are both beautiful examples. I have an example of the officers model in as well, although it’s not named.

矢野
    Yano

—Guy

?

thanks Guy