MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Very Early Type 30 Bayonet

Article about: I am a bit of a bayonet collector, my main focus being the bayonets of WW1. I now have quite a few Japanese Type 30 bayonets, and I particularly look for the early ones. This is such a bayon

Default Very Early Type 30 Bayonet

I am a bit of a bayonet collector, my main focus being the bayonets of WW1. I now have quite a few Japanese Type 30 bayonets, and I particularly look for the early ones. This is such a bayonet obtained at one of the last fairs I went to before the lockdown here in the UK.
    It is in nice condition and illustrates the key features of the early pre WW1 bayonets, such as:
    Serial number on the back of the tang and not on the pommel end
    Inspection marks on the back of the crosspiece (and also under the 'canon balls' on the ricasso)
    Early type scabbard with a narrow frog band with a small screw
    Scabbard throat marked with a serial number (hard to find)
    Due to the good condition it is just possible that this is one of the bayonets supplied to the British in 1915.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Very Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 Bayonet

There is a member here who has a lot of rare bayonets for sale. Maybe he'll see this.
    S

?

I'll be selling or trading my two early examples. I have two "M" marked on pommel end bayonets. One doesn't have arsenal mark on blade & like yours has mis matched numbered scabbard. PM if your interested

Why would you not show the blade??

Here are some pics of the blade. The original pics were taken to show the early features, but actually this one does not have an inspector's mark under the cannon balls so hadn't photographed the blade originally.
    Looking at the blade I now wonder about my comment about it possibly being a British service one. One of my reasons for thinking this was the early scabbard; examples I have seen of regimentally marked British service Type 30's have all been in these early scabbards - there would not have been a chance in service for a later scabbard to be substituted. However the blade on this one is sharpened and seems to have seen use as a machete. Conversely the scabbard is undented and the wooden grips in very good order. Really the only conclusion to be drawn is that the bayonet and scabbard are from the same period due to the close serial numbers.
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Very Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 BayonetVery Early Type 30 Bayonet

Hi Tony, I Really like your bayonet , I am very sure I viewed your bayonet about 3 /4 years ago ? at 1818 Auction House at Crooklands ,Kendal I got out bid as it went for more than I could afford ~ but yes it's a brillint bayonet , I truly am so pleased for you . only the other day on Gunboards Forum I was talking bayonets to a great guy in France who's keen interest is British Arisaka Bayonets, so I discribed to him the one I'd seen in Kendal , today I go on this Forum and there is the bayonet !!! This guy is currently collecting information ( getting as many guys as he can , a lot in U.S. ) to send him photos of their bayonets, with a veiw to evenually writing a new book on the subject ( This guy has amazing knowledge ) . do you mind if I forward your photos to him , I shall do nothing till I hear back from you. ( You may also be on " Gunboards Forum ") Finest Wishes Bern , P.S. I do need to reply to him today but will only mention the bayonet I will NOT send your photos ~ .

I am the Frenchy just mentionned in the previous message... so the photos of the bayonet are no longer secret to me.

Nice early Tokyo Arsenal. Indeed it was probably part of one of the European orders, either British or Russian, in the early stages of world war one. Most of the early bayonets which staid in Japan got their original scabbard replaced at a time (likely several times) for later models. It is very hard to find early scabbards or early frogs out of the bayonets sold to European buyers.

Almost all T-30 bayonets wearing British unit markings have serial numbers within the 8xx.xxx to 15xx.xxx range. The only one exception I know of is way out of this range, way earlier : serial number 178533. It belongs to my collection and is the only British marked bayonet serialized on the tang ever reported to date.

L

Hi, I am so very pleased about Shabadabada being able to get in contact with you ( I was unsure if he was on War Relics ) you will find him an excellent helpful and very knowledgable man. I look forward to following eagerly this thread . Thanks to you both . Bern .