Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos

Article about: Hey guys, I just acquired a lot of 19 photos taken by an American Solider in the Pacific theater. I was told they are from Iwo Jima. A few might be, but I can see one is from Peleliu airfiel

?

Default Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos

Hey guys,

I just acquired a lot of 19 photos taken by an American Solider in the Pacific theater.
    I was told they are from Iwo Jima.
    A few might be, but I can see one is from Peleliu airfield (bottom left).
    I won't know until I receive them, but some also might be from Okinawa?
    There are a couple of dead civilians and houses in the mix.
    I need to research if there were any civilians on Iwo Jima, and Peleliu, or if commanders had staff or family with them?
    I have a feeling it's Okinawa.

I also think there's more graphic photos in the lot.
    Not sure if they hold any value being posted?
    Sorry if the photo's upset anyone.

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos  

?

Looks like Okinawa to me (was stationed there). Civilians were evacuated from Iwo Jima, not sure about Peleliu.

Graphic or not, these depict important events in history that for better or worse, cannot be taken back. It's important that things like this are preserved and shown so that future generations can know what happened to shape the countries, and even world, that we live in today. Thank you for sharing.

?

An interesting lot.
    Do you know if there is anything written on the backs?
    That might help identify the who, what and where's?

and thank you for your service Ryoyo.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Phil,

Yeah mate, I'm hoping there is something written on the backs.
    One photo might say Iwo Jima and that's why the lot was sold as Iwo Jima?

I'm going for another lot from the pacific later in the week.
    I missed out on German and Japanese press photo's signing surrenders a couple of days ago.

Danger,

I'm glad this set has found a good home with you! I've always been fascinated by period photographs showing the grim realities of war. A few months ago I did a nice review of E.B. Sledge's With the Old Breed which certainly comes to mind when reviewing such images. Good luck on the items later this week, we're rooting for you!

?

Hi Midwest,

Thanks mate, I really do appreciate comments like that.
    They have found a good home and will be looked after and shared with everyone.
    A lot of what I have gets taken to my son's school around ANZAC day, and I hope to keep doing presentations when he goes to High School.
    It's nothing fancy, just letting kids hold history in their hands and sparking conversation.

I only really just got into war photos this year.
    It's becoming a habit.

Cheers,

Danger

?

These are the realities of war, that cannot be hidden, and won’t be forgotten.

Regards

Russ

?

They are on their way. Standard 10 working day processing etc... and now they are on their way.
    Can't wait to share.

?

Here they are.
    Took a long time to arrive.
    I have more coming in the next few days.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos   Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos  

Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos   Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos  

Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos   Warning - Graphic content - WW2 Pacific photos