Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wartime Japanese Radio Broadcasts Related To Swords

Article about: During the war, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) monitored Radio Tokyo and affiliated stations. The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) would then assemble these intercepts into va

?

Default Wartime Japanese Radio Broadcasts Related To Swords

During the war, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) monitored Radio Tokyo and affiliated stations. The Office of Strategic Services (OSS) would then assemble these intercepts into various topics, such as industry or agriculture. I have transcribed the text below as it appears in the document. The exception is the date which I have changed to the international standard. For example, 10/13/44 is changed to 1944-10-13 per ISO 8601. From studying the documents, I believe the abbreviations at the end of the intercepts are as such.
    Tok. = Radio Tokyo. See the Wikipedia article NHK.
    Jap. = Japanese language broadcast.

Swords
    Anshan: Koodoo Suzuki, who has won a reputation in Japan and Manchukuo for his superior Japanese sword manufactured from sponge iron, will soon begin mass production through the aid of officials of the Manchukuo Steel Works. Suzuki has been rushing the completion of various installations, such as the sword polishing laboratory within the company’s Research Department, so that production can be started soon. His Japanese sword has been named the “Tekkon.”
    (Tok. Jap. 1944-10-13)

Koodoo Suzuki = 鈴木・虹堂 = Suzuki Kōdō.
    One can read more about Suzuki san at Ohmura's website.
    The whole aspect of the Kōa-Issin sword

This is dated 1944. I guess I don't understand what the broadcast is saying. Is it talking about his work at SMR or is it saying he was establishing swordmaking operations elsewhere? The part "...so that production can be started soon" seems to be saying that he's establishing another factory somewhere.

Also, the "tekkon" name - what do you make of it? I haven't heard that term before.

?

Premier Tojo said, “There is a special method of manufacturing steel in Japan since the days of old and by applying it special Japanese steel will be made. Iron sands are found everywhere in Japan and tempering of this iron sand is a method.”
    (1943-02-05 Tok. Jap.)

?

Weapon Manufacturing Association
    Niigata: ...The cutlery manufacturers of the city of Sanjoo have organized and started the activities of a Weapon Manufacturing Association. Harukichi Nakamura, 37, a swordsmith of Tajima-cho, turned his talent to the making of...for the Southern Regions. ...the forces of our Imperial Army are using these swords to level jungles...

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    ...Also, the "tekkon" name - what do you make of it? I haven't heard that term before.
    I can't find reference to tekkon either. It's obviously "tetsu-something"... I propose:
    鉄魂
    Tekkon
    Iron Soul

Just a guess. It's definitely not 鉄棍 (iron club) or 鉄紺 (iron navy blue); both also pronounced tekkon.

Any other guesses out there???

-- Guy

?

Osabune Works

Okayama: In Okayama Prefecture, the producing center of Bizen swords, which has turned out such famous blades as the Osabune, white-clothed (i.e., hospitalized – trans.) heroes are now about to be trained as swordsmiths. On the occasion of Army Day on the 10th, classes for training in the technique of making and tempering Japanese swords will be started for disabled soldiers, at the Osabune works and three other plants in the town of Miyuki, Oku County, in this prefecture, which is known as the birthplace of the Bizen sword.
    (1944-03-08 Tok. Jap.)

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    I can't find reference to tekkon either. It's obviously "tetsu-something"... I propose:
    鉄魂
    Tekkon
    Iron Soul

Just a guess. It's definitely not 鉄棍 (iron club) or 鉄紺 (iron navy blue); both also pronounced tekkon.

Any other guesses out there???

-- Guy
    Need a footnote for the Tekkon. 鉄棍 is a derogatory term in the world of Japanese swords. Things like the Type 95 NCO sword are 鉄棍.

Osabune Works (備前)長船

備前伝 is one of the five ancient (Koto) schools in Japanese swords.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    Osabune Works

white-clothed (i.e., hospitalized – trans.) heroes are now about to be trained as swordsmiths.
    白襷 - Shirodasuki. Not going to hospital. The commandos (白襷隊) worn the crossed white bands to charge the enemy positions.

The original Japanese would have been 白衣の (white robed) which is most often used to refer to medical doctors, but in this context clearly referring to hospital patients, who also wore white robes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime Japanese Radio Broadcasts Related To Swords  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast