Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

What kind of skin?

Article about: Hello all, Can anybody tell me what type of skin is on this handle? Not your average stingray ray skin... but I assume in the same type of family? This will be part of my kyu-gunto collectio

Default What kind of skin?

Hello all,

Can anybody tell me what type of skin is on this handle? Not your average stingray ray skin... but I assume in the same type of family?

This will be part of my kyu-gunto collection soon.

Thanks,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of skin?  

?

I think it's ray, but a large nodule type, lacquered and ground down in the manner seen on some traditional saya.

Same
    [sah-meh]

The common sting ray. Same' means "shark" in Japanese. The skin is called 鮫革 "same-gawa" which simply means "shark leather."

The samegawa on your sword hilt has been polished flat so that the nodules are no longer sharp, then covered over by black enamel [urushi].

Cheers,
    -- Guy

samegawa link

Ahhhhh thank you Guy and DaveR. That would’ve been very interesting to watch them manufacture this skin/handle. I’m assuming that this process would’ve bumped the price up a bit for whomever purchased it?

I purchased this piece because it’s in excellent condition... it’s not too often you find them with the copper wiring intact and the scabbard without rust or dents. Only downside, no blade (Koshirae mounts). I may eventually get lucky and find something that will fit, if not... no biggy, I’m happy with it the way it is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of skin?   What kind of skin?  

What kind of skin?   What kind of skin?  

What kind of skin?  

?

The blades for these are often "non traditional"and so counted as a weapon and illegal in Japan. I wish you luck, but I would not hold my breath, even arsenal/factory blades were hand fitted.