Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?

Article about: What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees 軍属 to carry swords? Is it true that certain patterns were specifically designed for those people? Thanks!

Just playing around and I found two examples of Gunzoku with swords, courtesy of Mr. Ohmura's site!

中蒙古の最前線に於ける成瀬関次氏 (右) と
    栗原彦三郎軍刀修理団の今野昭宗刀 (左)

At the forefront of China Mongolia with Mr. Naruse Kanji (right) and Mr. Kurihara Hikosaburo (left)
    of the Akimune Konno Swordsmith Guntō Repair Team.
    What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?

Looks like he has a 3-shaku sword!! He *MUST* study kenjutsu. So I did a bit of searching .... and found the answer (again!) on Ohmura's site.

桑名藩伝兵法山本流居合術
    Kuwana Han Den Heihō Yamamoto-ryū Iai-jutsu
    成瀬関次 Naruse Kanji

He's an author and martial artist ... but do not think he's a craftsman. I cannot find why he was on this Sword Repair Team.

Found a short bio of him here. It mentions that he in fact did repair some swords in China.

Darn black-and-white photos! I'd love to see the color of their tassels!!!

Quote by nick komiya View Post

Finally onto the sword regulations for the people above. There was a revision to the Army Gunzoku uniform regulations in August 1940, so I will simply quote the sword section from that.

Hanin-kan and Ko-in ranks were to wear an army company grade officer sword, belt and tassel. However, the rear side color of the belt and tassel were to be brown.

... and NCO equivalents, who wore officer swords instead of a Type 95.
    Just found an example, Nick, that backs your statement. It is an officer sword, but with the all-brown tassel, and the cloth tag says "SSgt." An IJA SSgt wouldn't have been carrying this rig (as far as I know), so it must have been a Hanin-kan.

Is this "decorated" nakago a known thing by this maker? - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?   What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?  

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Just found an example, Nick, that backs your statement. It is an officer sword, but with the all-brown tassel, and the cloth tag says "SSgt." An IJA SSgt wouldn't have been carrying this rig (as far as I know), so it must have been a Hanin-kan.

Is this "decorated" nakago a known thing by this maker? - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board
    Just a minor correction, Bruce:

曹長 Sōchō. Master Sergeant / Sergeant Major.

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Just a minor correction, Bruce:

曹長 Sōchō. Master Sergeant / Sergeant Major.
    Fabulous Nick, thanks! I'll pass that along to the owner.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Fabulous GUY, thanks! I'll pass that along to the owner.
    There, Bruce .... I fixed that for you.

Sheesh!

(^__*)

?

Bruce,
    you are correct,looking at the info pic/quick reference, the all brown tassel is equivalent to the leather tassel, as used by IJA NCO ranks which the Sergeant Major is, and was used after 1940.

Refer to footnote beneath the Ko-in rank for gunzoku to clarify.

However, the problem with that photo example is that Gunzoku would not be addressing themselves with army rank titles. That sword did not belong to a Gunzoku.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    However, the problem with that photo example is that Gunzoku would not be addressing themselves with army rank titles. That sword did not belong to a Gunzoku.
    I wondered if that would elicit a comment. I don't know how the Guzudo addressed their ranks, but I was betting it would be different words than the military ones. Sooooooo ....... now where does that put us with this gunto?

One of my theories was that the all-brown tassel was in use by the military AND the Gunzuko, though I know you (Nick) expressed strongly that the wording of the uniform order made it sound as if the all-brown was created for the Gunzuko.

Another angle - the cloth tag was written and tied there by someone involved in the surrender turn-ins and not by the owner of the sword?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast