Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

Article about: Hi all, Ok, here's the deal. I have been an avid fan of katana's for a long time and own some proper katana's myself. I think I can spot a fake one but I have had no real experience with Wor

Default WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

Hi all,

Ok, here's the deal. I have been an avid fan of katana's for a long time and own some proper katana's myself. I think I can spot a fake one but I have had no real experience with World War 2 items. It is a machine fabricated blade, that much is for sure but except from it looking old and well I have no knowledge to say any more about it. I saw this at a flea market at home (Netherlands) and I have been looking around for a similar sword for some time. The guy was selling it for €350,00 but after some haggling and walking away I bought it for €200,00
    I am going to hang this in my new apartment and I would really like to know more about the type of sword. I cannot get it disassembled since the tsuba seems to be very tight. the first 2mm are ok but then it does not come off any further.
    WOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what typeWOII Katana. Help discovering if Authentic and what type

My advice would be to attempt to get a refund. I think that is about all I need to say.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

just take a long hard look at the quality of the blade. Then ask yourself if the Japanese would really make a blade as bad as that...

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I did. After what i read about the standard steel blades and just looking at this one it just looks damaged. Even looking at how it was sharpened (under some of the rust) it shows signs that look more like someone that never does this, or with tools not really meant for this, rather than a quick factory sharpening. Hence my initial thoughts.

If I may ask, can you guys elaborate on the details from which you draw this conclusion so fast? I would really like to know what to look for here.

?

Oh dear

You do not sound like an idiot, just un-informed.
    The fittings, scabbard, and handle are all I need to see to know that it is not a WW II Japanese sword. Or it is made out of country, but this is not likely the case. The numbers stamped on the blade do not conform to what we would normally see either. Also, you have a wrapped handle which would indicate an Officer's sword but, the blade with fuller would normally be mounted in a cast aluminum handle for an NCO.
    Here is a thread on my sword if you would like to see a real WW II Japanese officer's sword.
    My small Japanese collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

It is a Chinese fake. Real officer's swords never had a serial number on them. I will post other tell tale signs later when I have the time.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The blade shape is very crude and there is no temper in the blade. The fittings on the sword are typical of the swords coming out of China trying to decieve. I hear they wholesale for under $50.00. I would try to get a refund.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Or you can keep the sword for future referance. I would rather do that if it was my sword.

Quote by Kevin Pellicaan View Post
    Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I did. After what i read about the standard steel blades and just looking at this one it just looks damaged. Even looking at how it was sharpened (under some of the rust) it shows signs that look more like someone that never does this, or with tools not really meant for this, rather than a quick factory sharpening. Hence my initial thoughts.

If I may ask, can you guys elaborate on the details from which you draw this conclusion so fast? I would really like to know what to look for here.
    Hi Kevin, we all make mistakes. The idiots are the one's who do not learn from their mistakes! I don't know much about Japanese swords, but I do know that the swords they made showed quality - even in the arsenal-made blades. That sword of yours looks unbelievably crude by comparison. If it is any consolation, you probably paid around the price that these copies go for. Another thing... Dealers should always be treated with suspicion. They are there to make money, and your job as a collector is to know about the items you are buying to stop the dealer ripping you off!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast